SAND BED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Drop some sand in a cup with vinnegar, if the sand fizzes like alkaseltzer then it is aragonite based. If it doesn't fizz it is silica based. Something in the aragonite sand has a chemical reaction with the vinnegar and that's what makes it fizz!

Aragonite sand is better as it helps buffer the Ph levels in your tank, and if you research silica sand a lot of people have had problems using it in aquariums!

Is there any way to know what the right sand is to buy? I see "play sand" at Lowe's and Home Depot... how can I know if it'll pass the vinegar test? I can't just open the bag at the store. Well, maybe if no one's looking, but it'd be better if I just knew what kind was okay. :)

Most often it is sold as Caribbean or tropical play sand and is white in color while silica sand has more of a tan color. Yardright, Old Castle, and Southdown are some of the names the aragonite is sold under.

Aragonite is a better buffer, but plenty of people use silica sand without any problems. There is an urban legend that follows the stuff that the silica will cause algae growth but this is more likely linked to poor husbandry. The PH would have to be that low to dissolve the silica that your livestock would be dead well before you had algae fuel.

I did see some Old Castle at ye ol' Home Depot today, I'll have to check that out again. Thanks HoopsGuru!

Go Spurs! :wink:

I went back to a couple Home Depots and a Lowes today, but none of them had that type of sand. Does anyone know of any other places that sell it?

Actually, here’s a better way to phrase my question that’ll probably get more responses...

Where did you buy your sand? :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom