Sand bed depth. Does this look healthy??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReefRaff

Aquarium Advice Addict
The shrimp have moved most of it towards the frt, but still? I have always wondered if I have had too much??

TIA. 8)

Attachments

• dsc00697_182.jpg
    dsc00697_182.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 66
That`s why I`m not a deep bed fan. Mine is 1 to 2 inches deep with two gobies constantly sifting. Dont get me wrong Deep sand beds have their advantages but you`ve seen their disadvantages. Some of that looks like it`s on the glass. You might be able to scrape off.

I have the blank tahitian sand at about 6" and I have some similar coloration like that (not nearly as much tho)
Always wonderd what was going on down there.. the sand sifting star helps, but he doesn't stick to the glass when he goes under..
Is it just normal bacteria or something?

My tank is healthy and thriving, so I havnt really worried much about it...

I just don't like it. don't get me wrong. the coloration dosen't bother me, it's just the sand piled up to about 7" deep that has me worried, plus the rockhas sunk into the sand some, probibly from the shrimp removing it from under the rock.

ohhhh... I try and level mine back out when things pile it up too much...altho, I don't have much 'floor space' as the tank is two sided, so rocks are everywheres.

Always wonderd what was going on down there.

It's when the sand is moved over algae....whatch it, after a while it will doe and you might get some dead spots....Air pockets building up under there...At least that is what is happening to me right now.

it's just the sand piled up to about 7" deep
I also have a few places like that, you can move it back but it will probably do the same thing...

I have a 2" deep sand bed and have the same coloration at the bottom of the glass 0.o I think those spots are cyano b/c im having a cyano outbreak right now and new cyano seems to be forming from the sides of the tank, connecting to the purple patches on the glass

FishFrik said:
I have a 2" deep sand bed and have the same coloration at the bottom of the glass 0.o I think those spots are cyano b/c im having a cyano outbreak right now and new cyano seems to be forming from the sides of the tank, connecting to the purple patches on the glass

oh most of that red at the top you see is coralline. the sand used to be below that line of red.

I typically get around these sorts of problems by sifting/moving the sand on a bi-daily basis with one of those plastic tank glass scrapers. Keeps it white, removes air pockets and gets rid of that sometimes brown algae growing on it.

the pink looks like coralline, the other IMO is the denitrification process.. Looks like crap IMO thats one reason i don't like DSB..
The only problem with moving it around is that it can release built up gases into the tank. I would not stur up too much at once. JMO..

Generally speaking I would probably agree with you, though my concern would be that if you left them would they slowly creap into the system? Even so, if you're doing it on a daily basis there probably wouldn't be that much of a build up I would imagine.

If you have LR you will probably not be able to do 1/2-3/4 of the sand bed, so why mess with the little bit you can?. I know in my tank with corals there is no way to stir the sand and even if I could I would not. Its got to make a mess of the tank. When the clown kicks up one little spot it makes a mess. I would not reccomend it. But if it works for you then go ahead, its your tank. I like the nass snails they work well, the large ones are great..

well it seems to be the consensus here and abroad that I don't screw with the sand bed. so I have going to add a little more rock to fill in the empty spots. I have my T5 lighting coming, so I'll be adding some corals soon.

Back
Top Bottom