Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-05-2014, 11:38 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
On a dry rock do you think there are already bacteria on it? So where do you think the bb first starts?
From the bacteria thats constantly raining down on every surface of your home. But I fail to see how that's related to a water change.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:46 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cycling a tank you start without bacteria. You add water to it and bacteria are in water. Sure you don't kill the bacteria in rocks but you fail to think that you don't have bacteria yet in your rocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:54 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Cycling a tank you start without bacteria. You add water to it and bacteria are in water. Sure you don't kill the bacteria in rocks but you fail to think that you don't have bacteria yet in your rocks.
Bacteria have to travel a short time through water to get to the rock in which it lives, but again 99% of bacteria lives on the rock and filter media. Thats a fact that cannot be argued against and is the reason for me saying "a water change doesn't remove a significant portion of bacteria"
Old 11-05-2014, 11:59 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with what you are saying but you have to understand that the OP has just started a tank to cycle. You are assuming that he has a matured tank with rocks already full of bb which is not the case.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:54 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

BLUElobster, is your rock live rock or did you buy it dry?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 11-06-2014, 10:58 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
I agree with what you are saying but you have to understand that the OP has just started a tank to cycle. You are assuming that he has a matured tank with rocks already full of bb which is not the case.
Just because a tank is cycling doesn't mean the bacteria have chosen a new place to live. They are still going to reside primarily in the rocks.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:02 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

It seems you are missing the point that I'm trying to make. When I said "restart cycling" when water is replaced 100% I only mean partial restart which I also said previously. When you do that you loose the nutrients or ammonia to feed on bacteria. That means regeneration of BB will stall until the nutrients are back to where it was before.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:22 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
It seems you are missing the point that I'm trying to make. When I said "restart cycling" when water is replaced 100% I only mean partial restart which I also said previously. When you do that you loose the nutrients or ammonia to feed on bacteria. That means regeneration of BB will stall until the nutrients are back to where it was before.
The fun thing is, you need to say exactly what you mean. Both myself and hank read your statement as a 100% restart which is exactly how it's worded. Following that with the ability to search the forum on Google and its spreading bad information

I could make a statement like "water changes kill fish" which is technically true assuming there is a huge difference in water parameters between old and new water. But taken at face value it means "a water change will kill your fish"

Tags
ate, cloud, loud, sand, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com