Sand Color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

csquare77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is my first time at SW so I want to do it right, I just want to hear what other people think on sand color. They have a very white dead sand or a browinsh LS that I can buy. Now I dont care about cycle time i'll wait to have the sand cycle propertly either way I just want some opinions n which sand color is better, or the one that most prefer. Also which one works better very fine sand or sand that that is a little more corse? Thanks

well, you want fine sand, as fine as you can get i think...aragonite sand is a good choice to go with, and i love the color of it. i have it in my tank that i just set up, with some dark lace rock, and it looks great. I like how white it is, as it contrasts the other colors, and makes everything brighter. you could also get the aragonite "dead" sand, and put a few handfulls of live sand in it too, to jump start the cycle.

HTH

I have a mixture of different color sand. Some whit, some black and white and I ordered some blue sand....

ya thats true what he said about the sand not staying white. After a while it will turn the color of live sand.

My sand has stayed white. I think if you have creatures that keep it turned and moving all the time it will keep a good white. Of course you will have a few spots taht the guys miss but overall mine has stayed a very bright white.

If you plan on having a lot of flow I wouldn't get sand that is too fine or you'll get sand storms. Or sand floating in the water a lot. Slightly bigger grains seem to do better IMO. As long as your sand doesn't turn black you are OK. Sulphur is bad!

Back
Top Bottom