Sand depth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FPandMM

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm starting a new tank. I'm going with sand this time. I currently have crusher coral as my subsrtate. What's a good depth I should make the sand. It's a 95 and It will be a reef tank?

It's really a personal preference. Are you planning on any kind sand sifters, like a pistol shrimp or sand sifting gobys? I have 2-3inches in my 55G and probably 4-5 inches in my 125G.

Most will suggest you stay away from the crushed coral. Stay with the sand IMO. Hard to clean the crushed coral and get all that waste from inside those pourous (sp?), holey pieces. After a while, it gets so that the nitrates are uncontrollabe so I've heard often.

I like about 2 1/2 to3 inches for reef.

Ray has a good point. I just assumed you were ditching the CC, but you know what it means when we assume... I used to have a CC/sand bed and I found it kind of a pain to vacuum and keep clean. Also, the sand will settle to the bottom and you will still end up with the CC on the top of the substrate, which can limit your clean up crew.

I have CC now and I want to get rid of it. Maybe I'll put some in the wet/dry I'm hooking up to kick start it. It's been established for well over a year, the CC. I have heard that CC can collect alot of debris and cause problems thats why with the new tank I'm going sand. Plus I think it looks better. I will be getting some sort of sand sifter whether it's goby's or starfish. I'm going wet/dry right now because a friend of mine is selling me one for $100 bucks. It was hooked to his 125 Gal tank. He went fuge but I have spent so much on the tank and lighting to buy another tank, protein skimmer and pump to build a fuge would be around $250. I over spent as it is LOL But once you start thats it :)

That might be a decent idea, re-using the CC in your wet/dry. I would suggest, don't leave it out of your tank too long (you don't want the nitrifying bacteria to die), if you are trying to possibly boost your cycle, and I would put it in a mesh type bag for easy removal/rinsing in your old SW, during PWCs.

Thats a good idea about the mesh bag. Makes sense if I want to remove it. I'm thinking of replacing the bio-balls with rubble rock. Kind of making it a wet/dry slash Fuge. What do you think on that. For $100 bucks it has a built in skimmer and pump. Or just keep it the way it was designed?

Replacing the bio balls would be a great idea as well. I also forgot to mention, when you take out your CC, make sure you rinse it in your old SW, FW will possibly kill off the bacteria.
I am not too sure how a wet/dry vac works, or what brand it is, along with the skimmer and pump. You might want to post what brand/model they are and some one can help.

I'm not quite sure myself how the wet/dry works. I have an idea. I have always had a closed canaster wet/dry (Enhiem). I'm planning on setting it up in my garage with just fresh water getting all the plumbing and wet/dry setup. Once I have everything right and No leaks. I'm going to switch out the 55 for the 95 on one LONG Saturday LOl I need to to set it up where if the power goes out it doesn't siphon back into the wetdry and start overflowing in the cabinet and on the floor. Thats my concern with getting rid of the closed Enhiem system. Flooding. I understand I need to drill a hole in the intake pipe where if that happened it would cut off the siphon. Does this sound right? I'll post the brand this evening. I need to look it up

I just assumed you were ditching the CC,

You assumed right Roka. Looks like I didn't read the post as well as I could. You of all people should know that. :roll: Said they were "going with sand this time" - -plain as day. I getting old....

LOL! That's ok, folks catch me all the time.

I bought a new ProClear Pro 75 and had nothing but trouble with the skimmer. I found it nearly impossible to get adjusted. Skimate production was not good either.

I spoke to the owner several times and he just jerked me around for 2 months till I gave up. Their LifeTime guarantee is worthless.

Hopefully, you will have better luck with the larger skimmer in the 150. If not, you may have sufficient room in the wet/dry to put in an aftermarket skimmer. My 75 was too small for that.

Skip the bio-balls and put LR rubble half way up in the chamber. Keep the water level in the wet/dry high enough to cover the rubble. However, make sure there is enough room left in the wet/dry so that when you shut the pumps off, the back draining water from the tank does not overflow the wet/dry box.

Thanks Charlie. I'll use your advice on the rubble rock. I was thinking the same thing. I have seen the filter in operation and the protein skimmer works good. I want to make sure I get the water level right so it doesnt overflow in the case of a power failure. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom