Sand Depth Calculator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tripper

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 72G bowfront aquarium that I am about to change the substrate in. I was using the Sand Bed Depth Calculator on here to figure out how much sand I would need for a 1.5 - 2 inch sand bed. It says I need between 33 and 66lbs of sand. I thought I had been told that a good rule of thumb is 1lb per gallon so I bought, but haven't added, 80lbs. Is this going to be too much? I've heard that you either want 1.5 inches or a DSB of 4+. What issues are there with having a sand bed inbetween these two depths?

tripper said:
What issues are there with having a sand bed inbetween these two depths?
None really, if you have a 1½-2" sand bed you will still get NNR to some degree if the sand grain is fine enough and oolitic. That combined with any LR (the more the better) will complete the nitrogen cycle. The deeper the bed the more likely NNR will occur without the addition of rock but it also means the types of bacteria and how they feed also change. Instead of facultative strains that release N2 and CO2, you end up with strict anaerobes that release much much more. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

The 1lb per gal rule of thumb you described may work for a standard rectangle shape but when you start working with odd shapes or tall tanks or breeder tanks then that rule will not work as well since your not factoring in the surface area the sand needs to cover.

Our calculator also uses a specific weight for 1sq inch of sand. This weight figure is an average of the average dry sand and the average wet sand.

So I guess I should just fill until I am happy with the depth.... simple enough.

I just don't want to be left with excess sand, not really anything you can do with that.

Sure you can make a refugium with it. Sell live sand ou tof your tank and put the extra sand in to replace.

tripper said:
I just don't want to be left with excess sand, not really anything you can do with that.
Sure there is, save it for the next tank. MTS is a common affliction in SW. :p

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom