Sand getting stirred up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IhaveNemos

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been having a problem with sand becoming stirred up to the point of digging right down to the glass bottom.

I have 2 Aquaclear 110's hanging in the tank, and one pumping up from the sump. I have tried every variation with the flow directions, but it never helps. The output hangs roughly midway from top to bottom.

I tried placing some LR in the front of the tank to disrupt the flow somewhat..which helped a bit.

Should I just angle everything to the surface? I was concered about low flow in the lower areas of the tank, and already have decent surface action as is.

that is pretty large particles. I dont think the sand in mine is even a mm.

I have all my power heads poinjted horizontally just underneath the surface. IT creates plenty of surface agitation, and creates a nice circular flow around the tank, so even the bottom of the tank has good flow, but not too strong..

My tank is a 10 gallon with about 210 gph of flow.

I think my 110's are putting out 3700/litres (960~ gph) an hour. The one from the sump has a 3-4 foot rise and 3 90 degree bends..so somewhat less from that one.

Back
Top Bottom