Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-28-2010, 12:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sand is turning brown?

This usually happen over time? My pretty white sand has started turning brown. Just the top layer so far. Any ideas? Im thinking its algae. I have algae (coraline and some hard green algae) taking over the glass of my tank. I guess thats a good thing? Purple spots are everywhere. I scraped it all off of the front with a razor but left it on the sides and back.

But the whole brown sand thing has me a little worried. Any ideas?

Old 07-28-2010, 12:51 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's diatoms.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:38 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, Give your tank a good half year to a year to fully establish and once you have your nitrate/phosphate levels down low it should be ok.
dannyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:35 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

It does sound like diatoms. They will go away over time. How long has this tank been up and running?

Coralline scraping is a regular maintenance chore. I scrape the glass at each PWC, leaving just the back glass untouched.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:38 AM   #5
SW REEF 15+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

That`s why I have a super sifter in my tank. My sand has been in this tank for 5 yrs now and still white. Try a bullet goby.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tanks been up about 7 months now.

I really do want to get a bullet goby. But, im just afraid he will bring my rocks down lol. They are just stacked on top of eachother. If he were to get into them and start sifting between the rocks, that could be bad news bears. My clown fish drive me crazy enough as it is moving sand around with their tails. Kinda funny to watch though. They will hunker down in the sand and rev their tails super fast to make a small craiter.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
If your rocks are not already sitting on the bottom glass it is a really good idea to move them there. There are a lot of way that the sand can get shifted or moved and topple the rocks. It also creates dead spots in your sand bed that are bad news. As long as the rocks are on the glass a bullet goby won't be able to move them.

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com