Sand or Crushed Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

craig10

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just purchased a 72g Bow-Front and will be setting it up as a s/w tank, mostly fish.

What would be the best substrate to go with? I found some Atlantic CC 1/8" to 3/8". Would this be good or is sand better? Either way how do I determine how much to get (I will not be using an U/G filter).

Thanks.

Most people recomend A DSB(deep sand bed) of 3-5" deep.. I myself started with CC cause well its wat i got for free from a LFS.. I ended up mixen in Sand with it to Form a DSB.. If I had it to restart I of went all SAND.. (non silica) and just left it at that..

I can't think o fany reaons to go CC over Sand. but on teh otehr hadn can't think of MANY reasons why CC is not ok.. .. for REEF tho i do recomend Sand. but for a FOWLR or FO I really dun think it matters.

Jacob

Crushed coral will help you maintain you calcium level easier. Especially if you ever plan to have corals. It will also contain the same benifical bacteria as live sand after you have had live rock in with it for about 6 months. I always recommend cc. A mix is not a bad idea either. as long as it is non silicate live sand.

You said Mostly Fish. What else are you Planning on for this Tank. If it is going to be fish Only, CC is fine. If you are thinking of any corals or inverts i would consider the DSB as your best option. JMO HTH

michealprater said:
Crushed coral will help you maintain you calcium level easier. Especially if you ever plan to have corals.

This statement is erroneous, unless the sand is silica. Most will try to get an aragonitic sand, which is basically really crushed coral. Unless the sand is silica, cc will not buffer any more than an aragonite based sand.

It will also contain the same benifical bacteria as live sand after you have had live rock in with it for about 6 months.

It's more like about 1-2 weeks, provided the LR is there, if not, it takes 4-6 weeks. Sand will offer a much greater surface area than cc.

I always recommend cc. A mix is not a bad idea either. as long as it is non silicate live sand.

There is nothing wrong with silica sand (not silicate, silica is glass, silicates are algae foods), it will not buffer ph or CA or ALK, but there is a great deal of skepticism that aragonite based sand or cc will either. Reef ph's usually prevent to much buffering. Silica will work for a DSB, just as well (certainly debatable) as an aragonite based sand, I prefer aragonite sand because it tends to have smoother edges, which will not harm infauna as much, but silica will get the job done.

OK, then. I like the looks of CC, but if the consensus is to go with DSB, How much and where the cheapest place to get it.

Also, I will have some inverts. but like I said, this will be mostly a fish environment.

if ur elucky u can get it at home depot.. "southtown play sand " or sumitn like tha.t i wasn't so lucky..

Jacoib

I was lucky enough to find it thanks to some of the members here. Its SouthDown Tropical play sand and can be found at SOME Home Depot stores.

but if the consensus is to go with DSB, How much and where the cheapest place to get it

I suggest a min of 3" up to 6" IMO closer to 6" is Better.
Here is a great artical that is a must read for the first time sand bed person. Deep Sand Bed By Dr Ron Shimek HTH

Yes SD sand and Yard right are both Aragonite Based and cheap. If you can't find this at your local HD then a good online source is www.purearagonite.com

Well, without sounding like a total idiot...

In the past I have always washed my substrate before putting it into a tank. Can I assume that with Sand you just put it in there?

I have used 500lbs of south down sand and never wash it. The small silt particals that you would wash out are an important part of the SB. JMO

Back
Top Bottom