Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-24-2002, 10:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Sand or Crushed Coral

I just purchased a 72g Bow-Front and will be setting it up as a s/w tank, mostly fish.

What would be the best substrate to go with? I found some Atlantic CC 1/8" to 3/8". Would this be good or is sand better? Either way how do I determine how much to get (I will not be using an U/G filter).

Thanks.

Old 10-24-2002, 11:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Jacob Morgan Send a message via MSN to Jacob Morgan Send a message via Yahoo to Jacob Morgan
Most people recomend A DSB(deep sand bed) of 3-5" deep.. I myself started with CC cause well its wat i got for free from a LFS.. I ended up mixen in Sand with it to Form a DSB.. If I had it to restart I of went all SAND.. (non silica) and just left it at that..

I can't think o fany reaons to go CC over Sand. but on teh otehr hadn can't think of MANY reasons why CC is not ok.. .. for REEF tho i do recomend Sand. but for a FOWLR or FO I really dun think it matters.

Jacob

Old 10-25-2002, 02:26 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
Crushed coral will help you maintain you calcium level easier. Especially if you ever plan to have corals. It will also contain the same benifical bacteria as live sand after you have had live rock in with it for about 6 months. I always recommend cc. A mix is not a bad idea either. as long as it is non silicate live sand.
Old 10-25-2002, 02:53 PM   #4
Alf
Aquarium Advice Regular

You said Mostly Fish. What else are you Planning on for this Tank. If it is going to be fish Only, CC is fine. If you are thinking of any corals or inverts i would consider the DSB as your best option. JMO HTH

See My Tanks through the links below:Have you Joined your Local Marine Club?? For The Dallas Fort Worth area, sign up at DFWMAS
Alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 07:28 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealprater
Crushed coral will help you maintain you calcium level easier. Especially if you ever plan to have corals.

This statement is erroneous, unless the sand is silica. Most will try to get an aragonitic sand, which is basically really crushed coral. Unless the sand is silica, cc will not buffer any more than an aragonite based sand.

Quote:
It will also contain the same benifical bacteria as live sand after you have had live rock in with it for about 6 months.
It's more like about 1-2 weeks, provided the LR is there, if not, it takes 4-6 weeks. Sand will offer a much greater surface area than cc.

Quote:
I always recommend cc. A mix is not a bad idea either. as long as it is non silicate live sand.
There is nothing wrong with silica sand (not silicate, silica is glass, silicates are algae foods), it will not buffer ph or CA or ALK, but there is a great deal of skepticism that aragonite based sand or cc will either. Reef ph's usually prevent to much buffering. Silica will work for a DSB, just as well (certainly debatable) as an aragonite based sand, I prefer aragonite sand because it tends to have smoother edges, which will not harm infauna as much, but silica will get the job done.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 12:28 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

OK, then. I like the looks of CC, but if the consensus is to go with DSB, How much and where the cheapest place to get it.

Also, I will have some inverts. but like I said, this will be mostly a fish environment.
Old 10-26-2002, 01:33 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Jacob Morgan Send a message via MSN to Jacob Morgan Send a message via Yahoo to Jacob Morgan
if ur elucky u can get it at home depot.. "southtown play sand " or sumitn like tha.t i wasn't so lucky..

Jacoib
Old 10-26-2002, 01:39 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was lucky enough to find it thanks to some of the members here. Its SouthDown Tropical play sand and can be found at SOME Home Depot stores.
Old 10-26-2002, 02:10 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm also finding out that they have changed the name to "Yard Right Tropical Play Sand".
Old 10-26-2002, 11:00 AM   #10
Alf
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
but if the consensus is to go with DSB, How much and where the cheapest place to get it
I suggest a min of 3" up to 6" IMO closer to 6" is Better.
Here is a great artical that is a must read for the first time sand bed person. Deep Sand Bed By Dr Ron Shimek HTH

Yes SD sand and Yard right are both Aragonite Based and cheap. If you can't find this at your local HD then a good online source is www.purearagonite.com

See My Tanks through the links below:Have you Joined your Local Marine Club?? For The Dallas Fort Worth area, sign up at DFWMAS
Alf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral, crushed, crushed coral, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com