Sand or salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RocketSeason

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey gang,

I have had this white film slowly collecting since I filled it with water. could it be sand? or is it salt. If it is salt, is it normal, or does this mean my salinity is to high. My Marine Labs Hydrometer is reading a SG of 1.024. could it be broken?

thanks,
-Matt

well I dont have anything in there yet. just agrogate sand and tap water with water conditioner. ( water will be replaced with RO when live rocks come.)

any ideas?

southdown sand or any fine aragonite sand will leave this silt everywhere when put in dry. Harmless I think. Does it wipe off easily?

R

I just cleaned and I dont think its either sand or salt anymore . It comes off the glass with a sponge but the plastic is another story. It "flakes" off. Probibly something in the water. calcium or something. (ew.) hopefully it goes away with pure water.

anyone else got an idea? I never had this problem before.

I think it's the sand settling out. After the tank cycles you should not have that problem any more

I did some cleaning today with a razor, toothbrush, and sponge and here is what I got: Little flakes of white stuff.

any ideas?

alright brnfrb. Ill take your word for it. I never had sand in a tank before so this is new to me. thanks!

i have found that the fine sand likes to stick to all the algae in the tank. i am changing the cc over to sand so i have found the places that i have missed in my cleaning.

Rocket, I am sorry i neglected to follow up on this thread. As brndfrb said I still am quite sure it is sand and there is somthing to worry about. When I start with dry sand I usually get this and it will come off in flakes and sheets. Now my recommendation for those who have sumps and other filtration means I recommend letting the sand settle in the tank with nothing running other than a pwerhead. It allows the silt to settle adding to biological filtration instead of ending up in your lines, filters, and bottom of the sump. Surely running filters will allow the sand to settle much quicker by removing the suspended silt, but it removes to from the sand bed. After cycling and a good cleaning you'll see it is harmless. LR will help sand settle faster as well but only to cover your rock with it. Do you have a plan on rock yet?

hey thanks sumphead.

I feel a little silly now, I was just worried my water was horribly contanimated. ( gravel tends not to collect on the plastic parts in the tank.)

:lol:

I will be ordering my LR this week. I am not to sure where I will be getting it from yet...but I should figure it out soon enough.

Back
Top Bottom