Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-31-2005, 04:50 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Morticus
Hahahaha.

1.0 Albino Burmese Python
0.1 California Kingsnake
0.1 Ball Python
0.1 Amelystic Corn Snake
Morticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 05:19 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty123
The Algae is the common stuff (Not Hair or Brown). My tank is only 3 months old, so only have a clown, damsel and 2 x chromies. When doing a water change I use tap water.

I there a marine equivalant of a Freshwater Plec I could get to clean up?
I strongly advise that you switch to using distilled or RO water for your water changes.

How big is your tank?

I also would not recommend putting chemicals like the Freshwater Plec in a Saltwater tank. They make products like that for Saltwater, but they are not good for your system. Saltwater is a science, you have to have the right salinity, ph and so much more in order to have a healthy tank. Every additive you put in your tank will through something else out of wack.

Old 03-31-2005, 05:43 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My tank is 55 Gallon.

By Plec, I mean a fish that will eat the algae. Is that what a turbo snail does? Is there another name for a turbo snail, as I don't seem to be able to find them in the UK?

I don't really have the space to store the amount of dionised water needed for water changes. Which RO kit would you reccomend?

How often do you do a water change. I am currently doing 10% a fortnight in top ups, as my tank is an open top one and the water evaporates very quickly.

Tropical: 55G (200L) 48", Undergravel, 2xPowerHeads
Marty123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 05:53 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I didnt realize you are in the UK. Your water might be okay to use. Here in the US they put lots of additives in our tap water. I know when I lived in Italy our water was really clean and had no additives.

http://directory.google.com/Top/Shop...ock/Saltwater/
That is a list of online folks that will ship to the UK. I am not sure exactly where you are, but I am sure you will be able to find one of them that carries the cleaners you need.

My recommendation on a "clean up crew", or as you call them Plec, is as follows:

Scarlet Hermit Crab: 15-20
Blueleg Hermit Crab: 15-20
Turbo/Astrea Snail: 15-20
Nasssarius Snail: 5-10
Emerald Crab: 1-3
Coral Banded Shrimp or any kind of cleaner shrimp: 1
Old 03-31-2005, 06:04 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPloman
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDAWG

Quote:
Dude, you dont wanna know what I really call them...
What do you really call them?
*&^%$ Enlargment kits...
How did I know...
Old 03-31-2005, 06:13 PM   #16

The water in the UK isn't too bad. A bit af chlorine and phosphates. No Flouride in my area tho (thank goodness!!).

Is it ok to add that many snails and stuff this early on (you do mean up to 20 snails, don't you?). I don't have any inverts at the moment, only fish.

Old 03-31-2005, 07:05 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yep, those are the best starter guys alive! You can add that many as soon as you want. They will keep your tank clean.

Keep in mind that turbo snails can not turn themselves over, so if they fall upside down they will die. They tend to die pretty fast too, like 10-20 minutes. In the year that I have had my tank, I have replaced like 50 turbo snails becaue they die all the time. I do not keep the recommended amount in my tank anyway.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:20 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

the phosphates are the cause of your algae problem. You'll need DI to get rid of the phosphates.
Cerith & Narssius snails will clean the sand. Turbos will clean the glass.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:48 PM   #19

Does anyone no where to get Turbo Snails in the UK?

Are the home DI kits any good? I have a water meter, so don't want RO as it will cost a fortune to run!

Old 04-01-2005, 02:01 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You might try looking for Astrea Snails. They are the same thing. I am not sure, but DI seems to be the same thing as RO.

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com