Sand Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marty123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This may be a daft question, but here goes...

I have build up of Algae (and fish waste!) on the sand in my Marine tank. What is the best way to get rid of it? Do I replace the sand, or just mix it about. I am not sure what to do, as I don't really want to kick up lots of dust.

Thanks

Marty

Algae is product of excess nutrients in the water, such as phosphates which can be found in tap water. Are you using RO/DI or tap water? It can also start because of over feeding, old lightbulbs, or a long light cycle. Finding the source of the algae is the best way to rid your tank of it. You can also get some snails to help.

As for the detritus, what kind of cleaning crew do you have? A good cleaning crew can defintely help with excess detritus. You can also mix the sand up and let your filter do some of the work.

Can you get a pic or describe the algae? Different types are caused by different things. Cyano and hair algaes are caused by phosphates etc. Brown algaes are caused by silicates.

The Algae is the common stuff (Not Hair or Brown). My tank is only 3 months old, so only have a clown, damsel and 2 x chromies. When doing a water change I use tap water.

I there a marine equivalant of a Freshwater Plec I could get to clean up?

Marty123 said:
The Algae is the common stuff (Not Hair or Brown). My tank is only 3 months old, so only have a clown, damsel and 2 x chromies. When doing a water change I use tap water.

I there a marine equivalant of a Freshwater Plec I could get to clean up?

I strongly advise that you switch to using distilled or RO water for your water changes.

How big is your tank?

I also would not recommend putting chemicals like the Freshwater Plec in a Saltwater tank. They make products like that for Saltwater, but they are not good for your system. Saltwater is a science, you have to have the right salinity, ph and so much more in order to have a healthy tank. Every additive you put in your tank will through something else out of wack.

My tank is 55 Gallon.

By Plec, I mean a fish that will eat the algae. Is that what a turbo snail does? Is there another name for a turbo snail, as I don't seem to be able to find them in the UK?

I don't really have the space to store the amount of dionised water needed for water changes. Which RO kit would you reccomend?

How often do you do a water change. I am currently doing 10% a fortnight in top ups, as my tank is an open top one and the water evaporates very quickly.

I didnt realize you are in the UK. Your water might be okay to use. Here in the US they put lots of additives in our tap water. I know when I lived in Italy our water was really clean and had no additives.

http://directory.google.com/Top/Shopping/Pets/Fish/Livestock/Saltwater/
That is a list of online folks that will ship to the UK. I am not sure exactly where you are, but I am sure you will be able to find one of them that carries the cleaners you need.

My recommendation on a "clean up crew", or as you call them Plec, is as follows:

Scarlet Hermit Crab: 15-20
Blueleg Hermit Crab: 15-20
Turbo/Astrea Snail: 15-20
Nasssarius Snail: 5-10
Emerald Crab: 1-3
Coral Banded Shrimp or any kind of cleaner shrimp: 1

The water in the UK isn't too bad. A bit af chlorine and phosphates. No Flouride in my area tho (thank goodness!!).

Is it ok to add that many snails and stuff this early on (you do mean up to 20 snails, don't you?). I don't have any inverts at the moment, only fish.

Yep, those are the best starter guys alive! You can add that many as soon as you want. They will keep your tank clean.

Keep in mind that turbo snails can not turn themselves over, so if they fall upside down they will die. They tend to die pretty fast too, like 10-20 minutes. In the year that I have had my tank, I have replaced like 50 turbo snails becaue they die all the time. I do not keep the recommended amount in my tank anyway.

the phosphates are the cause of your algae problem. You'll need DI to get rid of the phosphates.
Cerith & Narssius snails will clean the sand. Turbos will clean the glass.

Does anyone no where to get Turbo Snails in the UK?

Are the home DI kits any good? I have a water meter, so don't want RO as it will cost a fortune to run!

Back
Top Bottom