Sand question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Please help me make an informed decision...

I want to change the substrate (currently crushed coral) in my reef tank for either TMCs "coral sand" with 1-2mm particle sizes or Caribsea's "sugar sand" with 0.2-1.2mm particle sizes.

What does everyone else use in their tanks please? I'm struggling to decide between the two.

Can I mix them ?
Thanks in advance
Lis

I personally prefer the finer sand myself. You can mix the two, but the finer sand will make its way to the bottom over time.

It's really a personal preference. Keep in mind the smaller the particle, the more easily it can be stirred up by water movement. You could mix the two sands. I wouldn't mix the CC with sand as the CC will end up on the top of the sand. Whan you do the switch make sure you have some PWC available. I did 1/3rd of my 55G at a time.

I only use Caribsea's brand of sand and am always please with how little rinsing I need to do to rid the dust.

I'm currently using a larger particle size sand, Carib-sea reef floor special or mix I think it's called. It works alright, but I liked fine sand better. I think fine sand looks a little better and if using a shallow sand bed may do a better job at creating anoxic areas for denitrification. I would recommend larger sized particles for people who want a deep sand bed, 4" +, or who have very high water flow such as SPS coral tanks.

Thanks everyone for your really speedy responses. I haven't used the forum in a while and I had forgotten how helpful everyone is. Even for seemingly daft questions like mine :lol:

I intend to use a sand bed of approx. 2 inches. I have heard that the finer sand can sometimes go hard and compact - has anyone had this problem?

Thanks again
Lis

I like the larger particle sand because as Scott said it is heavier and not as likely to be tossed around as the finer sand. JMO

Sand clumping was never an issue for me. AFAIK it's not really known for sure why some tanks experience it and others don't. I think tanks that use kalkwasser may be at a higher risk, but I'm not positive on that.?

Mine is clumped in my 55G. I found out this when the pistol turned into a mining machine.

Back
Top Bottom