Sand Shifting/Sifting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fireman26m

Aquarium Advice Freak
I can't remember which critter is better...a sand Shifting or a sand Sifting. And I would love some recommendations for the good kind. TIA

Ok....maybe I am high. Could have sworn there was a difference and saw something about it on here. I want something to move the sand around but not decimate the pod population.

There is a difference, you want a 'shifter'. Try some nassarius snails.

Thanks Six-line. I thought I was making things up. I need more snails anyways so I'll just get some more when I pick them up.

You can remember it this way...the sifter is looking for something to eat. So he is sifting through the sand looking for food. The Shifter is just moving around and inadvertantly moves the sand as he goes.

The sifter is eating your infauna...thats bad. The shifter is eating ditritus, algae, extra food...depends on what kind of shifter you have. I would also suggest conch. Great little guys to watch!

Sand stars are usually sifters...not the kind you want.

Conchs..I would suggest one per square foot of open sand. Fighting conchs and queen conchs are the best. Be aware the queen conchs will get very very large.

Back
Top Bottom