Sand sifter issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Texasreef

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all, I recently (at the advice of my lfs) added a dragon goby to my 46 bowfront reef. The idea being he would help turn over the sand and keep it looking clean. What he is actually doing is digging large holes in the sand bed around my rock scape. I'll be upgrading in the next month to a 90 gallon and I'm wondering if there is a better sifter that won't dig craters in the sand? So let's hear it... What do you use to keep the sand looking nice? Thanks :)

I have a sand sifting goby and a sand sifting starfish both keep the sand overturned quite well. However, the goby is going to dig a cave and around all the rocks. When you upgrade, make sure you put the rocks in first, then sand so they don't collapse or shift when he sifts. Eventually, i think it looks more natural instead of a dead even line of sand.

Nassarius snails are IMO the best sand sifters. Get about ten of them. There cool because they come out when you feed the tank and do a great job sifting but they go back under the sand and you don't see them all throughout the day. Gobies are messy.

You could also add 'egg crate' or a light diffuser before you add the sand, that way the digger won't get too deep.

+1 on the nassarius snails - I have 4 or 5 in my tank never see them but they pick up all the left overs while teaming up with my 2 cleaner shrimp

Back
Top Bottom