Sand Sifter Stars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meola

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have one sand sifter star - I have 125g - I have doz+ hermits and 6+ snails and 2+ urchins

Can I have more than one star? The tank is almost 2 years old so I wonder if there would be enough nutrients to sustain more than one star.

Since I have put the first star in my substrate looks great - sifted and fresh as when I put it down - but he has stayed within a 1 ft area - my theory is one or maybe 2 more would even out the tank

any thoughts or comments appreciated

Since the sand looks great with one, that may mean he's getting his fill. I wouldn't chance another (definitely not two IMO) since they both might starve. They seem to do fine for a while - even one- until they eat up everything and starve. Might try to stick a meaty treat under him every so often. I've heard you can supplement them that way.

Once you start to see sand stick to his body when he comes up, that seems to indicate his body is starting to waste away for lack of food.

I've lst three over the last year or so. Doing fine for a bit, then die off. I'm sticking to Nassarius Vibex snails now. They do a great job under the sand.

Good luck.

I would not add another for the reasons stated above.
I have one and wish I could get rid of him. They eat a lot of the benificial critters in the SB.
I have had mine for about 3 years in my 125.

Back
Top Bottom