Sand sifters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hinds04

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just wondering what you guys feel are the best sand sifting fish?

Gobies and Jawfish do a great job. Also you can look into Nassarius snails and sand sifting stars. The star fish will eat a lot of the flora and fauna in the sand bed so keep that in mind.

Is there one of the gobies or jawfish that does a better job than the others? I like the golden head

I don't have experience with that many different kinds but i have had more then one diamond goby and they are great sand sifters.

My orange diamond watchman was a beast. Started sifting the minute he got up all the way till the lights went out.

The sleeper banded or bullet goby is the best sifter in the business. Here is mine

bulletgoby.jpg

do all watchmen gobys perch? im trying to find something to go through my sand that wont make tunnels as i didn't set my rock on the bottom of the tank.

im in need of something that shifts but doesn't burrow. then i just need to find a away so it dont get picked on by the mean 3

I have a pink spotted goby and a bullet goby and neither one burrows. Maybe that`s just mine but that`s not what mine do.

I agree with melosu58,for a 20 gallon a sleeper banded is a great goby for your size tank,and there really fun to watch!

I have decided to go with the bullet. The way they look is growing on me too. Thanks guys

make sure you have a GOOD top on your tank. I love the orange diamond goby. my first one actually sifted all my sand (2" bed) and found EVERY piece of left over crushed coral I had before I changed to sand and stacked it in one spot on a live rock just below home. I had a 1" spot he could get through to get out and he did. my second had a 1/2" hole I did not think he could get through ( he was about 2" long)....he did. Just for reference I have a 6 line wrasse that has never been an issue. I will have another as soon as they come back in season.

Back
Top Bottom