Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-24-2006, 10:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to aquazen
Sand sifters

What are good fish, inverts, etc. for sifting through sand? While I'm at it, are there scavenger type fish that tend to vacuum up leftover food at the bottom of a tank, like cories and loaches for freshwater? TIA.

Old 01-24-2006, 11:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
i'm getting a sand sifting goby and a sand sifting star maybe one of those or both

Old 01-24-2006, 11:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to aquazen
I understand that for a sand sifting goby, you need a refugium to produce copepods in. Is that not the case? Otherwise, I'll go out and get that Twin Spotted Goby in a heartbeat!
Old 01-24-2006, 11:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
There are sand sifters and sand shifters. Some things go through the sand bed devouring everything and then starving to death.

Personally, I'd recommend a bunch of nassarius snails and some hermits. They work great for me and rush out to grab anything that falls to the bottom. I also have a ton of pods, tiny starfish and bristleworms from my LR which all compete for the stuff. I'd prefer to do without the bristleworms, but I guess they do the job just fine.

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I posted a link the other day to a site that had instructions on training a goby to eat prepared foods. Mine luckily will it them with no problem. He will swim up and eat out of the water column instead of picking it up off the sand.
Inverts - (2) Peppermint Shrimp, Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp, (5) Turbo Snails, (4) Nassarius Snails, (10) Blue Leg Hermits, Emerald Crab, (3) Scarlett Crabs, some small starfish(hitchhikers)

My Aquarium Photos
localhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:27 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd agree that nassarius snails are a good choice. They would behave like loaches in cleaning the sand as well as keeping it turned and aerated.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to tcarola154
I have a diamond watchman goby... and my sand is always very clean. He eats live brine and frozen mysis whenever i put it in there too... so he always has plenty to eat

and i also agree... nassarius snails do a great job too, every time i drop food in the tank they pop up right away and find anything that hasnt been eaten
Old 01-28-2006, 12:40 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tonga fighting conch. The best investment I ever made as far as clean up critters.

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com