Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-07-2005, 09:08 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Denero
I have never heared of any of the proponents of DBS's using anything other than shifters to move their sand bed. Usually its pods, worms, and conchs like QuarryShark mentioned.

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 09:14 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a detailed article on my web site if anyone wants a more technical look at it.[/quote]

i read it very nicely written

doug

Old 03-07-2005, 09:18 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks, but I cant take credit for it. Its written by a very well known figure in the world of Reef keeping. Ronald L. Shimek, PH. D.

I wish I was that experienced with the hobby.

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
Old 03-07-2005, 11:12 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
I guess the detritus can be cleaned by the crabs and such which will keep the nutrient level down
Thats what I rely on. My hermits, shrimp, stars (serpents) and even my Cowrie seem to do a good job. My sand is cleaner than ever.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:20 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
Well, I lost 4 fish all with in an hour...yellow tang, velvet fairy wrasse, Melanaris wrasse, lawn mower blenny, and a yellow head. All reasonably hearty fish.
Maybe out in left field, but did you introduce any new fish recently? Were there any symptoms such as lack of eating, flashing, etc or did it just happen out of the blue?
Just seems strange that the inverts were not effected, also the surviving fish are rather resistant to parasitic outbreaks.
I know you are rather advanced in your knowledge so consider this just a reach...
BTW, sorry for all your troubles.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:08 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It does sound like a singular event to wipe out fish in such a short period. IF there anyway to test for the presence of sulfides (other than being there to catch the stink?).

Oh, and, bubbles in a properly functioning DSB are likely to be nitrogen gas, whihc would be a GOOD thing.

From the MANY hours I've spent reading on this, it seems that a DSB should not be deeply sifted. If it is, it's a deep layer of sand, but not a functioning DSB in terms of nitrate removal. My DSB is in my sump, where I hope that any "Sump fart" sulfide gas release would dissipate well before entering my main tank.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 12:34 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarryshark
Quote:
Well, I lost 4 fish all with in an hour...yellow tang, velvet fairy wrasse, Melanaris wrasse, lawn mower blenny, and a yellow head. All reasonably hearty fish.
Maybe out in left field, but did you introduce any new fish recently? Were there any symptoms such as lack of eating, flashing, etc or did it just happen out of the blue?
Just seems strange that the inverts were not effected, also the surviving fish are rather resistant to parasitic outbreaks.
I know you are rather advanced in your knowledge so consider this just a reach...
BTW, sorry for all your troubles.
We had introduced 3 new fish over the last two months. All were in ideal health. All eating..none flashing. None were shy...all ran to the front glass when we walked up looking for food. Except for the hair algae and the PO4 we are fighting the tank and fish were in ideal health.

As far as it being weird that the inverts were not effected and how sudden it was....thats what everyone is saying. I have a friend who is a marine biologist. He has no idea what caused it. In my 12 years of keeping saltwater I have never seen a crash like this.

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
Old 03-08-2005, 12:45 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiman
It does sound like a singular event to wipe out fish in such a short period. IF there anyway to test for the presence of sulfides (other than being there to catch the stink?).

Oh, and, bubbles in a properly functioning DSB are likely to be nitrogen gas, whihc would be a GOOD thing.

From the MANY hours I've spent reading on this, it seems that a DSB should not be deeply sifted. If it is, it's a deep layer of sand, but not a functioning DSB in terms of nitrate removal. My DSB is in my sump, where I hope that any "Sump fart" sulfide gas release would dissipate well before entering my main tank.
The shifting of the deeper parts of the DSB is minimal. Its basically a worm or a pod working its way through the sand. You would never see the movement or even know the critter was there unless you went diging through your dsb. But the shifts are enough to keep the sand from clumping.

As far as the Sulfide release. It hits the water first...you pump will push the water into the tank pretty quickly. It may lessen the effect, but it certainly wont eliminate the effect.

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!

Tags
dsb, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com