Sand sifting crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sonny bats

Aquarium Advice Regular
Lookin for a good sand sifting crab to clean my
Sand bed, something peaceful that won't bother my snails or hermits..I was lookin at either a Pom Pom crab or a porcelain crab. Which would be a better choice, any advice?

Sonny bats said:
Lookin for a good sand sifting crab to clean my
Sand bed, something peaceful that won't bother my snails or hermits..I was lookin at either a Pom Pom crab or a porcelain crab. Which would be a better choice, any advice?

None of those will " shift " your sand. Best bet is to purchase a fish that will do it. I accomplished this by purchasing a diamond/ orange spotted goby does a great job in my 55 in my 120 I use brown barred goby pair. They do an excellent job however they are more messy. If more dish isn't an option I would recommend depending on ur setup to get narsarious snail or onyx ( sorry for miss spelling). They do a good job. I would shy away from sand shifting stars however since they really are not a good choice for the home aquarium. They is many choices but crabs really arnt one. If you have a large enough setup a horse shoe crab can manage well if small enough but keep in mind it will out grow any home setup.

jsmith said:
None of those will " shift " your sand. Best bet is to purchase a fish that will do it. I accomplished this by purchasing a diamond/ orange spotted goby does a great job in my 55 in my 120 I use brown barred goby pair. They do an excellent job however they are more messy. If more dish isn't an option I would recommend depending on ur setup to get narsarious snail or onyx ( sorry for miss spelling). They do a good job. I would shy away from sand shifting stars however since they really are not a good choice for the home aquarium. They is many choices but crabs really arnt one. If you have a large enough setup a horse shoe crab can manage well if small enough but keep in mind it will out grow any home setup.

Oh and welcome to AA .. good idea to refrain from bumping posts they run a tight forum around here.

jsmith said:
Oh and welcome to AA .. good idea to refrain from bumping posts they run a tight forum around here.

Yes welcome. I will say I am fond of my sandsifting star. He has done well, However I would stay away for a smaller nano setup. They bury themselves but don't really "mix". the sand much. I second the sand sifting goby idea if at all possible.

Ok thanks.. I really want a crab of some sort tho.. As of right now I have three scarlet hermits, three cerium snails, two ocellaris clowns and a choco chip star (star is only temp). Have a 29 gallon with 30lbs live rock. Goin to be adding a sixline and a Midas blenny in the near future. Would a goby work in this mix also?

I appreciate the feedback also, this is my first tank and still learning.

Sonny bats said:
Ok thanks.. I really want a crab of some sort tho.. As of right now I have three scarlet hermits, three cerium snails, two ocellaris clowns and a choco chip star (star is only temp). Have a 29 gallon with 30lbs live rock. Goin to be adding a sixline and a Midas blenny in the near future. Would a goby work in this mix also?

I appreciate the feedback also, this is my first tank and still learning.

Yes there isn't one goby u couldn't add. Good idea on chip star. You still have room to had some small fish with no problem.

Not to neglect you comment on crabs you can get anything you like all will be content providing they ate fed. A scarlet would ne nice two emeralds would do well as well as a pom pom. Any questions feel free to pm me if you want or feel my opinion isn't valid you cam always post.

Ok thanks a lot. If I have an questions I will PM u.. Appreciate it

Sonny bats said:
Ok thanks a lot. If I have an questions I will PM u.. Appreciate it

No problem. Hope that info helps you out. Don't ever feel any question is too stupid to ask we we're ally newbs at once.

You couldn't keep ANY goby. You could keep a lot of the species, but I have seen 9-12" solid bodied (like diamond gobys) gobys that you could not keep in a 29.

I have a sleeper gold head goby which will reach at the most 6" in a 30g but if you want something smaller a two spot goby is pretty cool an sifts the sand as well

I def am lookin for a cool *** goby tho, one that gets no bigger then 3-4"..something that's active
And that I'll see a lot.

Ya two spot gobies are cool looking I was goin to chose that one as well but the one I saw at my Lfs wasn't as active as the sleeper gold head

So what goby stays around 3-4" and is pretty active and cool lookin? Name a few...

The orangemarked goby and two spot goby are the only two I can think of being 4 inches and below

I just picked up a court jester goby. Stays around 2 1/2 inches...after I bought him I've been readin what's finicky eater they Are..

Oh cool I didn't know they sifted sand but it's a cool looking fish

Back
Top Bottom