Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sand sifting crab

Lookin for a good sand sifting crab to clean my
Sand bed, something peaceful that won't bother my snails or hermits..I was lookin at either a Pom Pom crab or a porcelain crab. Which would be a better choice, any advice?

Old 07-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Anybody??

Old 07-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny bats
Lookin for a good sand sifting crab to clean my
Sand bed, something peaceful that won't bother my snails or hermits..I was lookin at either a Pom Pom crab or a porcelain crab. Which would be a better choice, any advice?
None of those will " shift " your sand. Best bet is to purchase a fish that will do it. I accomplished this by purchasing a diamond/ orange spotted goby does a great job in my 55 in my 120 I use brown barred goby pair. They do an excellent job however they are more messy. If more dish isn't an option I would recommend depending on ur setup to get narsarious snail or onyx ( sorry for miss spelling). They do a good job. I would shy away from sand shifting stars however since they really are not a good choice for the home aquarium. They is many choices but crabs really arnt one. If you have a large enough setup a horse shoe crab can manage well if small enough but keep in mind it will out grow any home setup.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith

None of those will " shift " your sand. Best bet is to purchase a fish that will do it. I accomplished this by purchasing a diamond/ orange spotted goby does a great job in my 55 in my 120 I use brown barred goby pair. They do an excellent job however they are more messy. If more dish isn't an option I would recommend depending on ur setup to get narsarious snail or onyx ( sorry for miss spelling). They do a good job. I would shy away from sand shifting stars however since they really are not a good choice for the home aquarium. They is many choices but crabs really arnt one. If you have a large enough setup a horse shoe crab can manage well if small enough but keep in mind it will out grow any home setup.
Oh and welcome to AA .. good idea to refrain from bumping posts they run a tight forum around here.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith

Oh and welcome to AA .. good idea to refrain from bumping posts they run a tight forum around here.
Yes welcome. I will say I am fond of my sandsifting star. He has done well, However I would stay away for a smaller nano setup. They bury themselves but don't really "mix". the sand much. I second the sand sifting goby idea if at all possible.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok thanks.. I really want a crab of some sort tho.. As of right now I have three scarlet hermits, three cerium snails, two ocellaris clowns and a choco chip star (star is only temp). Have a 29 gallon with 30lbs live rock. Goin to be adding a sixline and a Midas blenny in the near future. Would a goby work in this mix also?

I appreciate the feedback also, this is my first tank and still learning.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

*cerith snails I mean lol, spell check!
Old 07-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny bats
Ok thanks.. I really want a crab of some sort tho.. As of right now I have three scarlet hermits, three cerium snails, two ocellaris clowns and a choco chip star (star is only temp). Have a 29 gallon with 30lbs live rock. Goin to be adding a sixline and a Midas blenny in the near future. Would a goby work in this mix also?

I appreciate the feedback also, this is my first tank and still learning.

Yes there isn't one goby u couldn't add. Good idea on chip star. You still have room to had some small fish with no problem.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not to neglect you comment on crabs you can get anything you like all will be content providing they ate fed. A scarlet would ne nice two emeralds would do well as well as a pom pom. Any questions feel free to pm me if you want or feel my opinion isn't valid you cam always post.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok thanks a lot. If I have an questions I will PM u.. Appreciate it

Tags
crab, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com