Sand sifting goby making too much dust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had it all the same side to side and a little higher at the back .
He has it banked against the rocks .
He has chosen 1 rock as his " home "
Funny thing when I turn my bright lights off in the evening he will put sand in the doorway to fill it in before he goes to bed for the night .

Yeah, some o the burrowing fish will do this. My jawfish puts shells over the opening at night and my pistol shrimp also puts shell frags over the opening to close the door at night. Funny to watch. Like they're saying "okay, bedtime, leave me alone." Haha

Good pickup, I love the diamond goby. I had one till it perished in my tank crash. I actually just got another as did my father in law. Very cool fish and they do a good job.

I had a pink watchman in my old 55g and he would pick up rocks,shells and i think even my hermit crabs and bring them all back to his cave.

I used love my sand shifting goby but he jumped and didn't find him till to late, mine ate anything that was feed to him, he would build a wall outside his hole every night with the crushed coral which was cool to watch but he was pain as after every wc done he would go on a mad digging spree. Shame he's gone as was ace fish but don't no if should get other one as think he jumped cus flame angle was chasing him a little

I have a diamond goby too. My tank was sooo cloudy when I first introduced him to the tank I was like ugh this was a bad idea. A week later it's not as cloudy anymore. He turns the sand everywhere and burrowed under a rock towards the right of my tank. Be careful though, he shifted my rocks when he made his burrow which caused a minor rescape and some of my frags to fall. I regret not putting rocks first, then sand. My goby was fat when I first got him from the LFS, he seemed to thin out after he jumped (luckily I caught him in time to place him back in the tank) He loves frozen brine/mysis shrimp. He can eat and eat and eat. Make sure you have a lid (I used egg crates) and you'll be good.

I have a diamond goby too. My tank was sooo cloudy when I first introduced him to the tank I was like ugh this was a bad idea. A week later it's not as cloudy anymore. He turns the sand everywhere and burrowed under a rock towards the right of my tank. Be careful though, he shifted my rocks when he made his burrow which caused a minor rescape and some of my frags to fall. I regret not putting rocks first, then sand. My goby was fat when I first got him from the LFS, he seemed to thin out after he jumped (luckily I caught him in time to place him back in the tank) He loves frozen brine/mysis shrimp. He can eat and eat and eat. Make sure you have a lid (I used egg crates) and you'll be good.

I have a lid but the back 3" in the one side where my hang on skimmer is its open .
I can't see him jumping cause he never leaves the sand bottom .
But I have read allot of people say he will jump .
I have a glass top .
Does the salt build up effect the light in a negative way ?
Should I consider changing the cover.?

You don't want a glass cover. The reason people have either open tops or mesh tops is to allow the water to be open for good gas exchange.

I have a lid but the back 3" in the one side where my hang on skimmer is its open .
I can't see him jumping cause he never leaves the sand bottom .
But I have read allot of people say he will jump .
I have a glass top .
Does the salt build up effect the light in a negative way ?
Should I consider changing the cover.?
I have a glass top and recommend cleaning it during water changes. I also have about 3 inches on the back for my hang on stuff and my Diamond Goby happened to jump through it and I found him the next day all dried up.
I think anything bigger than the size of the fish and it can get through. The best you can do is reduce the chance. Mine stayed at the bottom too and it still jumped.

I have a glass top and recommend cleaning it during water changes. I also have about 3 inches on the back for my hang on stuff and my Diamond Goby happened to jump through it and I found him the next day all dried up.
I think anything bigger than the size of the fish and it can get through. The best you can do is reduce the chance. Mine stayed at the bottom too and it still jumped.

Wow ,
They seam to be getting better then I thought .
Amazing fish !!

I think this is hilarious .

My 2 clowns will swim down to the sand if the goby is close and almost stand on their tail , and flutter to stir up the sand and swim fast to the anemone .
Why are they doing this ?

Are they trying to tease the goby so it will follow them into the anemone ?

Back
Top Bottom