Sand sifting goby making too much dust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rmckoy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just bought 2 clown fish

1 anemone

And 1 sand sifting goby .
He is very active and hasn't stopped cleaning and moving sand , shells and rocks yet .
The question is he is stirring up allot of dust ,
Should I be worried or will the dust bother the anemone or other fish ?
It seams to have my skimmer working pretty good .
If the dust is why it seams to be working well .
Why is he only focusing on the opposite end away from the clowns and anemone ?
Will he eventually clean that end of the tank?

Do you know which type of goby? Some tend to make a cave in one spot and stay there while others will sift through the entire tank. Just depends on the type of goby. The dust will eventually get skimmed or settle. Just give it a couple of days.

Do you know which type of goby? Some tend to make a cave in one spot and stay there while others will sift through the entire tank. Just depends on the type of goby. The dust will eventually get skimmed or settle. Just give it a couple of days.

The goby has yellow / orange spots .

A pic would be great but it sounds like a diamond sleeper goby. They work nonstop all over the tank making little piles of sand everywhere. He will make several "burrows" throughout the tank. He may be avoiding the side w the anemone if the clown(s) have already hosted and they're protecting it. They are awesome fish I had one until sadly he jumped.

A pic would be great but it sounds like a diamond sleeper goby. They work nonstop all over the tank making little piles of sand everywhere. He will make several "burrows" throughout the tank. He may be avoiding the side w the anemone if the clown(s) have already hosted and they're protecting it. They are awesome fish I had one until sadly he jumped.

That is what he is .
And yes the clowns are in the anemone ,
He is starting to get to that end of the tank but seams very cautious .
He has 3 burrows under 3 different rocks .

image-3327860894.jpg

This is him ,
Pretty amazing fish !
He keeps everything very clean ,
Actually I'm kinda worried he will run out of stuff to eat ,
He did end up cleaning the whole tank over time , ( 2 days )
He is very territorial avid seams to be able to hold his own against the clowns ,

My Dragon Goby was taking pecks at the LR today. I finally got close to the tank without him getting spooked. I'm also worried about him not having enough food. I've also got a descent CUC in there. 7 Nausarius & 3 star snails along with 11 Hermits.

My Dragon Goby was taking pecks at the LR today. I finally got close to the tank without him getting spooked. I'm also worried about him not having enough food. I've also got a descent CUC in there. 7 Nausarius & 3 star snails along with 11 Hermits.

I only have him and 8 blue legged hermit crabs .
I started with 10 but 2 were not big enough to defend them selves and died .
I don't want too much of a clean up crew where they have to fight for survival so until I add more fish and establish the tank more ill wait.

This is him ,
Pretty amazing fish !
He keeps everything very clean ,
Actually I'm kinda worried he will run out of stuff to eat ,
He did end up cleaning the whole tank over time , ( 2 days )
He is very territorial avid seams to be able to hold his own against the clowns ,

These fish will eat fish foods like brine & mysis shrimp. How old is your tank? I'd recommend feeding.

It's been cycled for about 3 months .

I just added the first couple fish last week .
Being 2 clown fish and this goby

the Diamond Gobie is a fun fish to watch! I enjoyed mine and will get another once my tank is mature enough. They do stir a lot of sand up at first but eventually it settled down and wasn't so bad.

the Diamond Gobie is a fun fish to watch! I enjoyed mine and will get another once my tank is mature enough. They do stir a lot of sand up at first but eventually it settled down and wasn't so bad.

This is what's scaring me .
Once they aren't stirring up as much are they still eating enough ?

I've got a fairly substantial CUC in my 40 so I decided to drop a good amount of mysis in the tank today. The DG was plucking it right from the water as it dropped, not like my clown does, but he did a good job. Then he's right back to scooping and sifting, I noticed he was up inside the caves, swim through's, and overhangs pecking at the LR as well. Not concerned with his behavior, he's a sand sifter, I just didn't know they liked the LR as well. I've noticed some smaller pieces of LR on the SB he must have some strong teeth!

I've got a fairly substantial CUC in my 40 so I decided to drop a good amount of mysis in the tank today. The DG was plucking it right from the water as it dropped, not like my clown does, but he did a good job. Then he's right back to scooping and sifting, I noticed he was up inside the caves, swim through's, and overhangs pecking at the LR as well. Not concerned with his behavior, he's a sand sifter, I just didn't know they liked the LR as well. I've noticed some smaller pieces of LR on the SB he must have some strong teeth!

Mine not only sifts sand but he moves any pieces of rock , shells or anything that isn't sand and piles it around the base of the rocks .
He was probably the best fish I have ever seen .
Very entertaining to watch at work

Mine not only sifts sand but he moves any pieces of rock , shells or anything that isn't sand and piles it around the base of the rocks .
He was probably the best fish I have ever seen .
Very entertaining to watch at work

I haven't seen this behavior yet, but he's only been in tank for a few days. I'm diggin this fish!

This is what's scaring me .
Once they aren't stirring up as much are they still eating enough ?

Don't worry. They never stop sifting. You just won't see as much debris as time goes on because it has already been sifted. I often move the sand where i want it (shallow sand bed) but with in a week my goby has moved the entire sand bed where he wants it.

Certainly is the most interesting fish I've had.

I had it all the same side to side and a little higher at the back .
He has it banked against the rocks .
He has chosen 1 rock as his " home "
Funny thing when I turn my bright lights off in the evening he will put sand in the doorway to fill it in before he goes to bed for the night .

Back
Top Bottom