Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-25-2005, 12:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

sand sifting goby normal eating pattern?

I added a 3 inch sand sifting goby 3 days ago, and up until yesterday, I had not noticed the goby was doing much with the substrate. I came home lastnight, and noticed that almost the entire substrate had been disturbed. I mean all of it except for a small area. Last night, I watched the goby, and he just never stops... Is this normal, or is there not enough algae in the substrate and that is why he is eating so much...

Also is it normal for a goby to hit his mouth on the live rock after he has been eating? I have noticed he will eat for a while, then go over to the live rock and hit is face on the rock a few times. It seems that he is loosening substrate that is trapped in his gills. Is this normal as well?

Old 03-27-2005, 05:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

So im guessing that out of all of our members we dont have a single person who has a sand sifting goby? Anyone want to help me out here?

Old 03-27-2005, 06:18 PM   #3
zacdl

I dont have one.

Bump.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to badfish
i dont have one yet, but want to get one, i also watch them at my LFS store and they seem to be sifting machines. how long have you had your tank and how big is it? I myself am a newbie but i would think its fine. I think the most important factor is how long you had your tank. Im sure someone hear knows and will be watching this thread since i want to get one too, i think their really cool.

Filtration: 50lbs LR.com, 60lbs sand

Swimmers: 2 O. Clowns, Yellow Watchman, Firefish, Yellow Tang, Dottyback.

Clean-Up: Several snail & hermits, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Peps.

Corals: 2 zoo colonies, yellow polyps, star polyps
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 07:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Ximat
I have a yellow Headed Sleeper Goby and He is a sifting machine too. Eventually he may mellow down, when he does sift all the surface algae off the sand he will eat Mysis, Brine, and Flake food without a problem.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

i have a two spot or paddle fin sand sifter goby. the fifrst few day that i had him he hid and did not do to much but after a few days once he was adjusted to the new tank he started sifting all the time and making tunnels under decor and pilling up my sand everywhere. I have the agranite sand with the larger black pieces within in the sand he will pick them up and seperate in another pile. mine will pick at my decor and live rock but never had him hit his head to loosen sand though. He will eat anything i thrown in and i have had him for at least 4 months and constently rearange my sand and digs up my leather toadstools that i just have sitting in the sand and i have to re seat them. So i think your goby is fine so long as he eats and sifts although i dont know about hitting his head mine never does anything to that sort. Also i didnt know the little guys eat alage i always made sure i feed enough food to hit the bottom so that he has a chance to eat and i dought my tank will support him without me feeding him daily.
hope this helps if not or you have anymore questions than ask and i will try to help with what i know!!!!!
Old 04-20-2005, 09:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

sand sifting goby

I got one yesterday and as soon he got in the tank(1 hour procedure to get him used to water and temperature)he went straight to the live rock and underneath in a very small crevice,5 hours later came out and went around the tank and as soon I moved went in that crevice again and havent seen him again since,is that their normal behavior?
Old 04-27-2005, 04:04 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

It is not advised to keep a sand sifting Goby, or Wrasse, or Starfish. The reason they over sift your substrate and you are left with sterile sand. All that beneficial bacteria you have tried so long to established can be wiped out with in a week. I would get rid of him ASAP. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but this is what they do. As to your question about his head bashing behavior you are absolutely right. He is removing built up sand from his mouth.

Tags
eat, eating, goby, pattern, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com