Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-24-2011, 12:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sand sifting needed

I have a three inch live sanded in my 45 gallon tank. I have about eight nassarius snails, but they aren't doing an adequate job of stirring the sandbed, so I was wondering if there are any great sand sifters that won't poison my tank or bury themselves in the sand and die never to be seen again?

Old 02-24-2011, 01:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Diamond sandsifting(watchman) goby! They are great! I have the longfinned sandsifting goby at the moment and he is also very similar but i like the diamond ones because they have the nice orange spots.

The sleeper gold head gobies look nice too but i have never had any luck with them...they always die on me. Has anyone had any luck with these?

0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
8 nassarius snails is a lot for a tank of that size IME. they will need meaty foods to hit the bottom.
how old is your tank and what does the sand bed look like that you think you need it moved?
in the beginning, all tanks go through an ugly stage. this subsides over a period of months, without adding sand dwellers.
here is a picture of some new clams in a 3 month old tank of mine. notice the sand bed (nothing sifting the sand)-
Old 02-24-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah a picture says a thousand words. Take a pic of your sand bed! You could always add some hermits to remove any edible debris sitting on the sand. You have a few more choices as well like sand sifting stars and sand dollars.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i wouldn't suggest a sand sifting starfish. it will die in smaller tanks with new sand beds. there is just not enough food for them. i have never actually seen a sand dollar on any stock lists from indo, florida, or australia.
i wonder if they would live in closed systems? i'm guessing not, for the same reasons as the sand sifting star. have you seen these at the LFS cylias?
Old 02-24-2011, 03:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My sand just looks gross, mostly I'm worried about nitrates and stuff building up and then being released, I want them all out so that they can be removed, the sand just doesn't look like it's being stirred enough, I put two layers in at separate times nag they still haven't been mixed, my tank is a few months old.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have seen them at my LFS once. They had them in a shallow tank with sand sifting star fish as well which is why I brought them up. Since I've never had luck with star fish I stayed away, but I do wanna try again someday. Not sure what part of the oceans they came from.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Get a sand sifting star. I had one in my 46 gallon and he was fine, and was in there for over a year. I also had one in my 35 gallon for about 6 months. Then I put them both into my 120 gallon and they are both more active and have gotten much bigger.

Try it out if you see that he starts starving give him back to the LFS for a store credit.

In my 46 gallon bow front I had 5 nassarius and one sand sifter for my sand.

***Pics now on profile***
rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:17 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

What kind of tank is this? Reef, fowlr, or?
Old 02-24-2011, 06:38 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Reef, and I suppose I could try a ss star, its just all the stories I've heard of them burying themselves and dying, and how would I know it was starving?

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com