Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-19-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

sand sifting star

hi all i recently (1 month) ago added 2 sand sifting stars to my tank.. however during the acclimatisation time one managed to escape into the tank after only a few mins. i think it has died.. iv seen one and i know its the same one as one arm is missing. but i havnt seen the other one.. iv tested the water and the amonia has started to rise so this is what i think.. the one that got out and didnt acclimatise has burrowed into my sand and died and this is why my amonia is up.. so iv taken out all the rock and began to search the sand but cant find it anywhere.. is it possible it has decomposed after such a short time or maybe my hermits have eaten him.. iv seen no sign of any body or not seen the hermits eating anything.... iam completly confussed on this one any ideas people...

Old 08-19-2011, 01:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sand shifting stars often starve in an aquarium. 1 would be excessive, but 2 is wayyyyyyyyy too much. It is probably not decomposed, just in the sand. It probably hasn't died either. Keep looking.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks. but iv looked and its no where to be seen.i didnt know they have problems in aquariums..i see the one star everyday he is very active but the other one is no where to be seen
Old 08-19-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

They usually only do well in very established systems with dsb.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It very well could be in the sandbed somewhere, or maybe it jsu burrowed and died. have you had any ammonia spikes? They are notorious for starving under the sand and decomposing. Part of the reason I havent gotten one yet, I'm too faint of heart. lol
Old 08-19-2011, 03:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah i thought it has died but iv taken all the rock out and combed the sand and its just not there lol.. could it have decomposed already or have been eaten.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Depends on your cleanup crew. osme are very efficient, but the stars are usually kinda big so it should have been hard to miss a spike no matter hwo good they are. Those stars will literally burrow to the glass and hang out there.

What you could do is feed some food into the sand and see if anything goes for it. Like use a turkey baster and stick it in and squirt. I've read that you can supplement their food source that way. I don't have one but that is what I;ve come up with in my research,.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

well i have 20 manila hermits and ten turban snails.. i know they are hard to keep but i can not find him or even a body. so do you mean just put the baster into the sand and inject food into it.. what food can i use
Old 08-19-2011, 03:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I wouldnt go crazy with the food but you could use regular frozen food. You said you still have one star left right? I;m sure he would appreciate the food as well.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:14 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
they don't eat that. they eat microfauna. you are just going to make your ammonia problems worse. i would do a water change or two and see what happens.

Tags
sand, star

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com