Sand Sifting Starfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Craprap

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I heard that this starfish is very bad for a live sand bed. This starfish is suppose to eat the live "critters" very fast. What is everyone's option. Thanks

Depends on the size of your tank. I have 2 in my 210, the pods and worms are thriving.

Six-Line said:
There no good IMO, they will wipe your sand bed clean.

That's the reason why I have been avoiding getting one. I do wonder where all the snail poops go when they fall into my sandbed, hopefully something is eating them or will they eventually pollute my DSB?

I had 1 in a 55 and my sand bed was kicking. I jsut moved to a 180 and added a few scopes of sand from the 55 and it exploded with life and still going. I say get 1

How can you see your pods thriving? I cant find anything in my black sand. Maybe the crustaceans in my hob are the pods that are thriving.

I also got one in my 125 gal. I have had no problems to date...but, I have only had it for a few months. So the jury is really still out on that. It does "move" the sand bed around alot. All I can say is for me, it's been OK so far.

Mike

There are variables. Size if tank, depth of sandbed, population of pods and worms, ect.
Like I said I have 2 in my system there is plenty for them to eat and they do a great job cleaning the sandbed.

To kinda piggy back on the original question, I had two chocolate chip stars in my 30 reef until they ate a Sarcophyton. So they are now in my Refugium and this post got me REALLY worried. The refugium is a 29g with a 6" DSB, a couple of handfuls of Macro and some live rock. Now that I think about it, I haven't seen any little critters running around like I used to, could they all be dead?? Should I get rid of the CC stars?

Thanks,
Karl

Back
Top Bottom