Sand Sifting Starfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Butters

Aquarium Advice Regular
I read that this is bad for a DSB cus they eat the sand critters (fauna) i think. my question is are they beneficial for anything or just something to look at? I noticed all my "sand" critters are gone and if the star isnt beneficial I should get rid of it right?

The sand sifting star will not be benificial to a tank with a DSB for the reasons you state. I would recommend you remove the star (it is probably starving now) and reseed your sand with a few lbs of LS.

What are some of the stars that are safe in a DSB system

are clams safe with brittle stars? also what benifits do brittle stars have towards the tank?

btw thanks for the replies.

are clams safe with brittle stars?

IME, yes, clams are safe from brittle stars.

what benifits do brittle stars have towards the tank?

Brittle stars are scavengers and detrivores, they eat detritus and bits of uneaten food etc...with the exception of the emerald green brittle star they are a beneficial member of the clean up crew.

The sand sifting star will eat all sorts of macro fauna from the sand bed including the pods. If you are considering a mandarin, you should also discontinue the use of your UV. It will also deplete the pod population. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

i think this a fish best left for me to admire from afar for awhile. i like the safety net of the uv for now until i'm more confident in my abilities. even without the mandarin are the sifters a bad idea? i don't exactly have a dsb only about 2 inches.

you should also discontinue the use of your UV. It will also deplete the pod population.

EEEK! Where did that one come from? Please elaborate on this please? I have never read nor heard this.

Is a 30 gal ok to have a brittle star in??? I also have some snails and hermits...well they all get along hunky dorie?? Does it need a DSB? Mine currently is only around 2.5 inches....and i used the bagged stuff that i hear is crap.....so how do i know if my LS is really live???!

Back
Top Bottom