Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-31-2013, 02:39 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like gsp because they will tell you when something is off in your tank. Sand sifting stars are hard to keep alive because of lack of food.

CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:46 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Just one 24w twin fluorescent lamp one blue am one white.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:57 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to h8z2luze Send a message via MSN to h8z2luze Send a message via Yahoo to h8z2luze
Id say thats your problem....
Old 01-31-2013, 03:02 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

What to low or to much? Is only a 20 gallon tank and everything seems to loving it. I'll try move it up higher and see what happens. My urchin decided to take a cutting for himself and that's doing better than the main gsp.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:15 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to h8z2luze Send a message via MSN to h8z2luze Send a message via Yahoo to h8z2luze
To low. I run a 250W 14,000K MH and my GSP are loving it. Im putting a Sunbrite LED over my 10G.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:37 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

It says its 10000 thingy. I just picked up the gsp to move it and so much dirt came off it. So I shook it about for a bit to clean it off and it completely clouded up the tank. Do you think this could have been it. It was just dirty.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:14 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

No. Im pretty positive its lighting.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:22 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

How old are your bulbs, you probably have the bare minimum for lighting but your bulbs are losing their potency. I'm pretty sure fluorescents have to be changed out every 6 to 8 months and as for your stars I agree on the starvation. They need a lot to pick thru I ended up having to spot feed mine frozen krill and he still starved
Old 01-31-2013, 08:34 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't know why sand sifting stars are still sold. It's practically a death sentence. They get huge and require a vast and deep sand bed. Meanwhile, they destroy everything that makes a sand bed worth having. They eat every beneficial organism in the sand, disturb the aerobic/anaerobic layers, and even in a pretty big tank, they still starve. And usually they are not polite enough to die in a visible place. When they finally go bucket kicking, they do so underground and poison the water by rotting out of sight and out of reach of the cleanup crew. Give them both away, but only to someone with a huge and I mean huge tank.
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

ok, let me go over GSP for you, When it doesnt like its location it closes up, when it doesnt like the water flow it closes up, When it doesnt like the paramaters it closes up. IME with gsp and Iv had it in many tanks from large reefs, Fish only displays, and pico reefs. I would say that it does best in intense lighting, high flow, and stable salinity. your lighting is not enough, I know it says online that they dont need much light but honestly this is just not true in most cases. I have one group of just that does alright in the darker area of the tank but it doesnt grow much and its just not that happy. alot of the time if you look at pictures of GSP thats doing really well its growing on rocks or on the glass at the top of the tank. at my LFS they have a coral troff tank that has a return thats right at the top of the water and the GSP coverd it because its about 2" under the water with a large MH over it. however to your point about the detris you got off it that can cause the GSP not to open if its been closed awhile but its not the reason it closed in the first place. I would try giving it more direct light and water flow before upgrading your lighting. move it and dont touch it for 2 days. if its not open in 2 days then try another spot. I would try a few spots before upgrading your light unless you want to anyways. but if it doesnt get enough light it will start dying off if it stays closed to long.

CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
polyp, sand, star, star polyp, starfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com