Sand Siphon Advice.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChiTownRomeo

Aquarium Advice Freak
3 inch sand bed..... Is it ok to siphon it clean during water changes? I see some videos like the ones from vivid aquariums that siphons the sand. Just wondering what is your opinion. I have some astera snails and they crap ALOT!!!

I have always cleaned my sand durning water changes and have never had an issue in any of my reef tanks. Get some nasarious snails depending on size and they sift through the sand and eat detritus.

I never ever have siphoned my sand, you can release buildup of nasty stuff doing that. :) As the tank matures the sandbed actually becomes part of the biological filter. At best, siphon very lightly the top layer of sand. But you should not have anything settling on the sandbed anyways, that is a sign of inadequate flow to the area. :)

Thats the problem with cleanup crew, they dont make the algae and stuff disappear in reality, they just change it from green algae to poop. LOL

I clean my sand bed every water change...I have a small 3 gallon so it's important to keep my nitrates low more so than other tanks. I find it helps keep my params more consistent

I have ways siphoned the sand, to get rid of brown algae, or excess nasty buildup.

I have a new tank that has been set up for 2 1/2 weeks with a sand bed. If I do a water change once a month, am I able to siphon the sand each month or will there be too much toxins released?

Back
Top Bottom