Sand storage/cleansing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krypt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Today I vacuumed up the bulk of my cyano to start my algaefix treatment and I noticed that while I was doing it I ended up getting about 10-15lbs of sand in my bucket. It seemed like a waste to just toss it out, so I rinsed the sand with some of my old SW from the DT and then placed it in another bucket with fresh SW. Since cyano is light dependent, I figured I would cover the bucket and let it sit for a week or so to kill it off.

Will it be ok to reuse this sand after a week or two of letting it sit or is it a loss altogether and should be tossed?

dude im really sorry you got cyno man, it seemed from all your previous post you did everything perfect! it scares me that i might get it some day

if you are worried about cyano spores getting back in the tank from the sand, you could always boil the sand in freshwater. granted that will be sure to kill just about everything in the sand.

I've stored wet sand for years in buckets before and reused without any problems. Make sure to thoroughly rinse the sand with saltwater if you plan to reuse that much; otherwise, freshwater would normally be fine and allow to sit/dry.

So it looks like I got the right idea then. Thanks for the confirmation guys, I'll keep it in bucket for a bit then rinse with some SW before reuse. I don't want to kill the good bacteria in it so I'll just leave it be for now.

Back
Top Bottom