Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-08-2004, 05:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sand Storm

Well, I had my first situation last night. I noticed that one of the suction cups on my Maxi-jet 1200 was not attatched to the glass, so I reach in and push it so it stuck. I left it so it was nice and secure, I thought. I went to the living room to watch a one hour long program, when it was over I was headed to bed. As I went down the hall I looked at my tank and the moons were glowing a different hue. I knew right away what was up. Both top suction cups had detached from the glass and was pointing right at my DSB, about 4 inches away. I turned off all my PH and let it sit over night w/ just the return on.

When I got up this morning it was halfway cleared up and I did a 20% water change. I saw my Tang swim around and I took a turkey baster and blew off all my frags.

Is there anything else I should do at this point? I havent had a report back from the wife (I'm at work) to give me an update. Needless to say I was 3 hours late for work.

www.panhandlereefers.com

Join N. Florida Regional Forum
GrndHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 11:34 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Replace the suction cups or figure a better way to afix the powerheads.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 11:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
I wouldn't worry too much about the sand, think about what happens in the shallow reefs when huge storms roll through. Don't all the maxi-jets come with a clip type device that you can hang them?
Old 04-09-2004, 05:49 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

sandstorm

It should all be ok, the same happened to me about three months ago, my ph slid down the tank and blew into my dsb all night, was not pretty next morning ! But it all cleared up and fish did not seem to be bothered.
Prob just drop a bottle of visine into the tank so that the fish can get rid of their sore red eyes
Old 04-09-2004, 07:41 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrunner69
Replace the suction cups or figure a better way to afix the powerheads.
I think the cups are OK it was the slime glass that was the problem and also the dirty cups.

I cant use the hanger that Jamal mentioned because the PH sits down in the tank to far.

All seems to be fine this morning, the only problem I have now is the "snow covered" rock I have. I've been trying to blow it off w/ the turkey baster a little at a time.

Thanks guys

www.panhandlereefers.com

Old 04-09-2004, 06:31 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

A trick I read about with powerheads was to buy the algae leaning magnets and use them to hold the PHs in place by siliconing it to the magnet. Anothe trick is to use a strong tape and tighten the cords to the tank taping them in place. This takes some stress off the suction cups.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 06:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ah! Very good ideas, thank you Kevin.

www.panhandlereefers.com

Old 04-10-2004, 03:04 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

GrndHog,

I know what you're going through. About a month ago I woke up late and as I was rushing out to go work I noticed that my tank seemed very cloudy. As I tool a closer look I could hardly see anything in there. One of my MaxiJets 1200 had come off the glass and pointing down at the dsb. Must have done that right after lights out the night before. I put the ph back on the glass and left all the pumps and ph's running. When I got home from work the tank had mostly cleared but what a mess. Sand over all the LR, a 10" pile next to a bare bottom where the PH was blowing.

It took a few days to get the sand mostly back where it belonged. Last night the MaxiJet on the other side of the tank did the same thing just before lights out. I fixed that before it did too much damage.

I'm now going to add removing and re-attaching those PH's as a monthly maintenance chore. I'll also try Kevin's ideas. Certainly can't hurt!

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com