Sand, to stir or not to stir?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apet66

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've read that if you stir your sand it can release nitrates into the water causing unsafe levels. Is this true?

That's good to know, I haven't stirred mine in fear of wiping everything out.
Thanks convict.

What if your sand bed is less than 3 months old? My powerheads blow some bare spots and I try to swish sand in the bald patch

What if your sand bed is less than 3 months old? My powerheads blow some bare spots and I try to swish sand in the bald patch

I would try to direct the power head higher so it isn't blowing the sand away.

Blowing a spot in the sand is one thing. Stirring up the entire sandbed is another. It is said not to stir up the sandbed to avoid releasing pent up gases and other nasty things as it will cause a deadly spike in levels, but also release and cause the possible death of the bacteria and other organisms within the sandbed that help keep levels in check. This is of even more importance the older the tank gets. With this being said, if flow and overfeeding occurs within a tank and continues without being addressed, this is what would end up causing what is known as "old tank syndrome" (atleast my take on it). With years and years of buildup between the rocks, accidental disturbance of one of these piles can cause system failure in an extremely short amount of time, even hours after it happening.

It is just hard for some to understand that stirring thigns up can be an issue. Those who are either new to the hobby or are acustomed to freshwater tanks with colored gravel would struggle with this, as it is common practice to do so during weekly water changes.

Summary: Do not stir your sandbed. Is there poop and old food piling up in the corners of your tank? You should siphon that out with some airline tubing, leaving your sandbed untouched.

Sniperhank, thank you for the informative response. I had heard it was bad and that's why I haven't. Just wanted some expert opinions and clarification.

Well I wouldn't say that it is expert level, but it is how I see things happening. But we warn others about these things on a small level, so with years of buildup it only makes sense to envision the dangers as an explaination for the "mysteries" of events like old tank syndrome. Proper maintenance and attention will assist you in the long run.

Just curious here, when I do w/c in my 60 litre it always sends my sand in all directions, the tanks cycling at the moment but after reading this in concerned about how to ensure that doesn't happen when adding water. I won't have room to put a plate on the sand with the decor in. Is it just a case of adding water REALLY slowly?

Just curious here, when I do w/c in my 60 litre it always sends my sand in all directions, the tanks cycling at the moment but after reading this in concerned about how to ensure that doesn't happen when adding water. I won't have room to put a plate on the sand with the decor in. Is it just a case of adding water REALLY slowly?

When I do pwc I change out 5gal in a 35gal tank. I trickle the water back in from a container with a spigot over about a 45 min time frame. So in short, yes add the water back in slowly.

I periodically siphon one section of my sand bed (usually every other water change). I don't do much though, I just plunge the siphon in to my sand once and clean that part very thoroughly to not allow any of the bad stuff into the system. Over a year's time you should be able to cover the whole sand bed and start all over lol.

I've read that if you stir your sand it can release nitrates into the water causing unsafe levels. Is this true?

my sand always gets stirred
between my clown , engineer goby , conch
my sand bed looks nice and clean cause they always sift through it

Back
Top Bottom