Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-09-2005, 02:56 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Another observation: In reading another website I caught the suggestion of making a DSB in your sump. In my case the Proclear 200 wet dry has a 19 gallon sump but the pick up tube is at the bottm of the sump that feeds into the iwaki pump.

So to me, I really couldn't add sand into my sump.

Mike

Old 06-10-2005, 08:08 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

This may be another stupid question from me but, what the hey.

Is there a good reason why I need to remove the CC before I add the DSB? What hurt would it be just to cover it over?

Also, is it the collective wisdom to place the base rock directly on the glass bottom or to sink it itno the DSB. I read somewhere that the little sand dwellers could shift the rock around over time, so it's better to place the rock on the glass.

Thx (again)

Mike

Old 06-10-2005, 10:25 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Is there a good reason why I need to remove the CC before I add the DSB?
Since the sand is smaller it will just settle to the bottom and the CC will still be on the top. You will still have the potential problems of the CC.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:33 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Makes sense. but....if I have 1/2" of CC and am adding 5" of DSB, wouldn't the CC remain at the bottom of the tank while the sand, even if it sinks would still be 4.5" over the CC. Or maybe the CC would work its way back to the surface?

Mike
Old 06-10-2005, 11:28 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

you dont have anything in the tank but some water correct? just remove the CC you big lazy! if i didnt have a tank full of LR and fish i would remove mine, but i just dont wanna tackle it right now.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:37 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey, I resemeble that remark!! Seriously tho, It's not that I'm lazy, believe me, if I _was_, I probably would not have jumped into this obsessive hobby.

I'm just wondering if there may be a benefit to keeping the CC on the bottom under the DSB.

The problem with getting into a new hobby in this age of the WWW is there is too much information out there. It's info overload overnight.

You start reading about DSBs and you read that folks put plenums under the sand. So I get to thinking that perhaps having a loose kind of substrate under the DSB may be good for something.

Mke
Old 06-10-2005, 11:43 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

There will be no benefit. Deterius will gather in the CC, possibly causing nitrates to rise. Even though there is only 1/2 inch layer of CC, it'll still rise to the top. Putting a DSB in now will only create headaches in the future. Trust us, take the CC out, and put the DSB in.

Just realize that many healthy SW aquariums are kept with CC. They just have to be cleaned out thoroughly with an aquarium vac to get all of the deterius out. Lately, CC has just become unpopular due to a DSB's good qualities. There's no need to clean it if you have a clean-up crew. If you have at least a few inches of a DSB, it can promote dentrification. Not only that... but many think it looks better If you choose to go with sand at ANY time in the future... best chance is to do it now while you can.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:46 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Now THAT makes good sense.

Out goes the CC..

Mike
Old 06-11-2005, 02:34 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Disregard
Old 06-11-2005, 08:42 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I had a 90 gallon SW set-up a few years back and I had a 1 inch layer of CC and a few pieces of dead coral (no LR at all). I remember that I would have to syphon the CC almost weekly because it got so brownish and dirty looking quite quickly from the lights I was using. I had to bleach the dead coral often too to keep them nice and white. It was quite a pain. I have since switched to FW but am considering going back to SW. Forgive me for asking very basic questions but I want to get more info before venturing back to SW. Thank you in advance to anyone that takes the time to help me out.

First off I guess the general concensus is that CC is not the way to go and that a DSB is better. If I go with a DSB is it going to get all browny coloured in a week or so as my CC did. Then if I try to syphon the sand it will get sucked up the tube and through my PYTHON into my drain?
It is my understanding that I should buy some small 'critters' to clean my sand for me. Could you give me some examples of these critters and exactly what they are going to do for me? Are they going to keep the sand nice and white and I won't have to syphon the sand ever? I want to put some nice bright lights on for my aquarium but I don't want to have to worry about everything looking dirty in a week because the bright lights are creating too much algea and brown crap on the sand.
I didn't have any LR in my set-up before but I guess I should put some in this time around. What does this LR do and will it mean that I won't have to do very many water changes any more?

My plan is to eventually get 1 or 2 blue spotted stingrays.

By the way I have an Eheim professional 2 filter model 2026 and a Seaclone protein skimmer.

Tags
coral, crushed, crushed coral, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com