Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2004, 07:22 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Not bare bttom, I like the look of sand too much I have a shallow sandbed, 1-2" that I stir up about once per week to get any detritus into suspension to be removed by the skimmer or during a waterchange. Many are going with thin layers of sand these days, or there is another product they are using, that I cannot for the life of me remember, it is a sheet of something...anyway for those of us that cannot abide the site of a barebottom tank. This is personal preference, but it has worked for me for several years on several tanks.

As for the fuge, yes I love it, I will never set up another tank that does not incorporate a fuge.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 07:38 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Two other questions that I have for you:
1) When you stir up the bed, what do you actually do? Do you use a stick to stir it up or what? Do you stir up the entire bed?

2) What do you use to hold up your LR? I was thinking of using some PVC pipes to hold them up. Wouldn't this be necessary for such a short sand bed?

Old 01-16-2004, 07:48 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
1) When you stir up the bed, what do you actually do? Do you use a stick to stir it up or what? Do you stir up the entire bed?
Because it is a shallow bed and is not anoxic, yes I stir the entire bed. What I actually use to do tthis is I use a turkey baster (my tank has it's own ) and blow water into the sand. IME, this method stirs up more of the detritus than the stick method, I have done both though, while I am blasting the sand bed out....I also take the opportunity to blast any detritus off the rocks. I allow that to be pulled out or siphoned out and then settle and blast off the rocks again.

Quote:
2) What do you use to hold up your LR? I was thinking of using some PVC pipes to hold them up. Wouldn't this be necessary for such a short sand bed?
My rock site on/or very close to the bottom glass and the sand is filled in around it, I do not use pvc or anything else to support it up off the bed. The rock rising up out of the sand is much more astheticly pleasing to me than the rock sitting up off the sand..

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 09:05 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Great Post Keven. Cookie definately do some research. I a not condeming them just trying to show thier limitations and what they will and will not do. Their are ways to extend the life of a dsb as Keven mentioned. What keven is doing is to remove the built up detritus and waste that would eventually fill the dsb and render it useless. All things bad in a reef tank come from food, waste and detritus. If you remove these you will not have to worry about trying to recycle them or sink them in a bed. From me I remove them right away through strong skimming and good flow.
Again you can use a dsb just make sure you know ahead of time what you need to make it work and what it can and cant do.

take care

Mike

www.reeffrontiers.com
mojoreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 09:08 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Oh on the standing of the rocks just to throw out another way, you can use acrylic dowels also. All you really need to do if you want is the rocks that are in contact wth the bottom. You sue turn the rock over and drill a short hole and then put in the correct size dowel.
On the sand thing, if you still wish to go that route thier is a fellow in Seattle that is removing a dsb from his tank (about 300lbs) and said he would be more then happy to give some to you.

mike

www.reeffrontiers.com
Old 01-17-2004, 03:55 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to BeerNinja
I live in Seattle too, and I have noticed it's not too easy to find a LFS!!
Especially in the Shoreline/Edmonds area. (north)

I do know there is a place in Bellevue called Salt Water City, I believe. And supposedly they're pretty good. I haven't gone there yet.
Old 01-17-2004, 02:53 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
I know everyone discourages sand sifting stars but couldn't they with the help of snails that sift through sand prolong the life of a DSB?
Old 01-17-2004, 04:41 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Mojo, PMed you with my number. Let me know if we can set up an arraingement to get the sand. Thanks
Old 01-17-2004, 04:43 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

BeerNinja, I work near Salt Water City. I thought that I noticed that their building had a for lease sign on it. I am not sure if they are stiill around or not. I have heard that from a few people that I work with about a place in Kent. When I find the name I will post it on this thread.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:10 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Cookie got it. Thier are a few stores in the area. The best would probibly be Blue Sierra in Issaquah, Midway pets has some nice stuff also, thier below sealevel in the U district. Feel free to jump on the link Keven posted, and join the club, you get discounts and thier is always alot of stuff for trade and sale. We have a bunch of good speakers coming to Charles Delbeek, Anthony Calfo, Scott Michael to mention a few. Frag give away next month with calfo also.
You can also clink on the picture below to get thier

Jamal, its tough to say the stars sift through the top layers but they also eat all the other bugs you are trying to keep in the bed, so it kinda defeats the purpose. I have a bunch of star in my tank..but then again no sand

Mike

www.reeffrontiers.com

Tags
eat, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com