Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2004, 01:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sandless in Seattle

Moving from Chicago to Seattle has been an eye opening experience in some cases. Other than getting used to the rain, I find that the LFS around Seattle are lacking in supplies and in some cases experience. I am setting up my 60 gallon acrylic and I wanted to put down a 2-4 DSB. I thought that that would not be a big problem, I would lay down a bed of Carib Sea or some other sand that was the size of sugar. Then I would purchase some live sand from a local LFS to seed it. Well, I have called several stores and they are charging $1+ for the regular sand. PetSmart was charging $25 for a 20 lb . I go onto Dr Foster's and they are charging $18 for a 30 lb bag or Carib Sea. So down to the real question that I have, what are your thoughts on putting in 40 lbs of Seaflor special grade reef sand and then 30 lbs of Carib Sea on top of that, then adding in some live sand?

Old 01-16-2004, 07:07 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
40 lbs of Seaflor special grade reef sand and then 30 lbs of Carib Sea
The SeaFlor will end up on top. The smaller grain sand will work it's wat to the bottom.

Look for SouthDown or Old Castle sand at your local home Depots...I doubt they have it (seasonal and usually restricted to the NE), but you might get lucky. You might also consider joining the PSAS (Puget Sound Aquarium Society), aquarium clubs will often time purchase pallets directly from SouthDown and seel it to their members at cost, looking at 5-8 dollars per 50 lbs bag.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 11:24 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

cookie welcome to Seattle the home of the crappy LFS's lol. you should look into the link Keven so graciously gave you . thier are alot of members of this club (over 300) and lots of great speakers coming to visit us. On the sand note, I knwo of at least 4 folks that are removing sand from thier systems and I am sure you could score lots of it if you wished.

take care.

Mike

www.reeffrontiers.com
mojoreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 11:34 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoreef
I know of at least 4 folks that are removing sand from thier systems and I am sure you could score lots of it if you wished.

Mike
Why are they removing the sand?
Old 01-16-2004, 11:48 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Snap, different reasons my friend. two of our members with very nice tanks (TOTM at RC) had thier systems crash, ..well let me rephrase that, begin to crash (corals began to die off, lots of algae blooms and so on) they both tore down thier systems and when they did we did alot of testing on the water conditions and the condition of the sand itself. The sand was loaded with doc's detritus and all the associated P and N. the anaerobic zone was only a half inch down on the exposed areas and right on top under the rockwork. the sulfur zone was right on top to and high traces of sulfur were found i the pore water of the bed. basically the dsb had converted from a recycling center to a large anaerobic zone. the balance of of folks saw thier tanks begining to head down the same road, with more and more algae blooms and phosphates leaching from the bed itself. These tanks were mostly SPS tanks and the phosphates were not allowing the corals to calicify anymore.

Mike

www.reeffrontiers.com
Old 01-16-2004, 12:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

So what are these guys going to use as an alternative substrate/depth?
Old 01-16-2004, 12:37 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Bare bottom, and lots and lots of corraline. a few are usinging polyps and ricordia and even some clams.

Mike

www.reeffrontiers.com
Old 01-16-2004, 06:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Mojoreef,
so are you recommending that I not go with a DSB and just go bare, with a possible underlayment so that the LR doesnt scratch up my acrylic tank?
Old 01-16-2004, 07:07 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

I think your best bet right now is to research dsbs and some of the problems with them that have come to light over the last several months. There really is nothing wrong with a DSB, provided you know it's limitations and how to care for it, just like the animals in your tank the sandbed is a living breathing thing and requires some maintenance and, IMO, has a finite life span. The exact length of time it will serve you will depend greatly on bioload, set-up and maintenance.

I personally have never used a DSB in my main tank and have my first in a remote refugium, that can easily be removed from the system if necessary. Many will get the entire life of a particular tank out of a DSB, since the trend is to keep upgrading to a larger tank before the lifespan of your dsb has been reached.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 07:17 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

reefrunner,
so your tank has a bare bottom with a fuge? I have been thinking of getting a HOB CPR fuge.

Tags
eat, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com