Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-25-2006, 08:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

sandstorm and parameters...

I posted a similar question last year after a MJ1200 lost suction and fell down blowing my sand everywhere. I have a 4" DSB and my nitrates went through the roof. For several reasons I've had nitrate issues, and I finally seem to have resolved them (got them down from over 50 to 2.5) - well, today I came home to the same MJ1200 dispite me replacing suction cups last year fallen and blowing sand everywhere.

My nitrates were 2.5 yesterday BEFORE I did a water change - they are now somewhere between 10 and 20. I know that sandstorms can do this when an established deep sand bed is disturbed (tank has been running for a little over a year) - but, I also checked my pH and I'm getting a reading of 8.0. It is consistantly 8.2. I'm not overly concerned (yet), but would this sandstorm also affect my pH levels?

Just when you thought it was safe to add fish to your water....

- Skins

Old 04-25-2006, 08:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
Well I know exactly what you mean since it happened to me also w/the MJ1200. Despite what everyone els says, the hook dosen't fit over the plastic trim at the top of my tank.

I bought 2 magfloat glass cleaners and superglued the bracket to to inside peice, and solved my problem. I can now adjust the position from outside the tank too. Just an idea.

ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 09:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnypete
I'm getting a reading of 8.0. It is consistantly 8.2. I'm not overly concerned (yet), but would this sandstorm also affect my pH levels?
I've noticed the same thing when my pistol shrimp goes on a digging spree. Sand storms can cause all kinds of nasty things including low PH for a few days afterwards.

Tags
meters, parameters, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com