sandstorm and parameters...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
I posted a similar question last year after a MJ1200 lost suction and fell down blowing my sand everywhere. I have a 4" DSB and my nitrates went through the roof. For several reasons I've had nitrate issues, and I finally seem to have resolved them (got them down from over 50 to 2.5) - well, today I came home to the same MJ1200 dispite me replacing suction cups last year fallen and blowing sand everywhere.

My nitrates were 2.5 yesterday BEFORE I did a water change - they are now somewhere between 10 and 20. I know that sandstorms can do this when an established deep sand bed is disturbed (tank has been running for a little over a year) - but, I also checked my pH and I'm getting a reading of 8.0. It is consistantly 8.2. I'm not overly concerned (yet), but would this sandstorm also affect my pH levels?

Just when you thought it was safe to add fish to your water....

- Skins

Well I know exactly what you mean since it happened to me also w/the MJ1200. Despite what everyone els says, the hook dosen't fit over the plastic trim at the top of my tank.

I bought 2 magfloat glass cleaners and superglued the bracket to to inside peice, and solved my problem. I can now adjust the position from outside the tank too. Just an idea.

:D

skinnypete said:
I'm getting a reading of 8.0. It is consistantly 8.2. I'm not overly concerned (yet), but would this sandstorm also affect my pH levels?
I've noticed the same thing when my pistol shrimp goes on a digging spree. Sand storms can cause all kinds of nasty things including low PH for a few days afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom