Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-12-2011, 01:43 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry405 View Post
where is your SG currently at?
The current SG isn't really the issue, it's where (why?) the salt is disappearing too. I wasn't sure if maybe the DSB, fresh filter media or something else is absorbing the salt and until it's seeded with salt, the SG would keep dropping.

I just figured that if an SG is reached, it should stay there until it's influenced by evaporation (raising SG), top offs (lowers SG), or if I do a PWC and maybe get the IO mix slightly off on the new water (SG goes up/down).

Old 05-12-2011, 03:51 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

None of those are reasons why you're salinity would just lower, btw I hope your letting that bucket you take out to add more salt mix for about 24hrs, it needs to completely dissolve or the salt could burn any fish you have.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:57 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

when you mix up your PWC's are you letting them sit for 24 hrs? I ask because you can get false readings before the salt is completely dissovled. do you have a skimmer? Those can lower your SG a bit if you are running it wet as well.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:58 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDream View Post
None of those are reasons why you're salinity would just lower, btw I hope your letting that bucket you take out to add more salt mix for about 24hrs, it needs to completely dissolve or the salt could burn any fish you have.
It takes 24 hours to dissolve? I wish they would've put that info on the box! I use a air stone and power head to churn/aerate it for 15-20 minutes and figured that would be more than enough.

Thanks for the heads up iDream
Old 05-12-2011, 04:00 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh most definitely, even in emergency situations you'll want to wait at least a few hours before adding it back.

Good mixing setup though!
Old 05-12-2011, 04:20 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Oh most definitely, even in emergency situations you'll want to wait at least a few hours before adding it back.

Good mixing setup though!
Thanks on the setup.

I'm betting you just hit on why the SG is so unstable. So I should churn/aerate for 24hrs and probably add a heater to the bucket too?

I guess these instructions are not to be followed, since that last part is what I thought I was doing lol:

"Stir vigorously to mix salt and water. Although the solution of Instant Ocean premium sea salt can be used immediately, we suggest aerating the water until it reaches oxygen/carbon dioxide equilibrium."
Old 05-12-2011, 04:22 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetee View Post
when you mix up your PWC's are you letting them sit for 24 hrs? I ask because you can get false readings before the salt is completely dissovled. do you have a skimmer? Those can lower your SG a bit if you are running it wet as well.
I'm guessing, but the 24hrs which IO doesn't tell you about is the issue. No skimmer yet.

Thanks!
Old 05-12-2011, 04:28 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Probably a good idea, just leave the PH and airstone and put in the heater to temp match for 24hrs.

Start that for a few days and report back, we'll figure out where to go from there
Old 05-12-2011, 04:33 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet View Post
I'm guessing, but the 24hrs which IO doesn't tell you about is the issue. No skimmer yet.

Thanks!
It's pretty much a general (unspoken) rule of thumb to follow with all salt mixes.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:41 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Probably a good idea, just leave the PH and airstone and put in the heater to temp match for 24hrs.

Start that for a few days and report back, we'll figure out where to go from there
Thanks for the help, I'll let you know how it goes. Gonna have to get a bigger bucket, that's for sure .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisel View Post
It's pretty much a general (unspoken) rule of thumb to follow with all salt mixes.
Unspoken is right lol. If IO would've at least made that part of the suggestion in the instructions, I would've done it. I though I was going overboard with my setup as it was (well my GF does anyway ).

Thanks!

Tags
pwc, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com