Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-12-2011, 04:00 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sans PWC, what can affect (lower) the SG of a tank?

Can my sand, canister filter, or something be absorbing the salt and causing the SG to drop? The tank is cycled and about a month old, I use Instant Ocean and a refractometer.

TIA

Old 05-12-2011, 05:52 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I notice my salt drops and its prob due to my HOB splashing. My tank is currently hoodless with the light sitting on the trip and theres a layer of salt on it. Also anywhere that is in contact with the water evaporation lowers the water will have a layer of salt. Ex. cords running out of tank

Old 05-12-2011, 06:18 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I cant think of any other way to lower SG other than doing top offs with RO/DI and small PWCs.
I'm just getting my SG under control in my 55. It's been high for a really long time around 1.028 to 1.030. With no ill affects to my fish. But I decided it was time to get it under control. It didn't take that many PWCs to get it down. Over about 2 weeks I've changed out about 7 gallons of SW for RO/DI and it finally got down to 1.025 yesterday.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry405 View Post
I notice my salt drops and its prob due to my HOB splashing. My tank is currently hoodless with the light sitting on the trip and theres a layer of salt on it. Also anywhere that is in contact with the water evaporation lowers the water will have a layer of salt. Ex. cords running out of tank
I have a glass topper and other than one spot on it that looks like a hard water stain, I don't see any salt caking anywhere. I'd figure any evaporation would raise the SG, but I don't see any water loss.

Thanks!
Old 05-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubernaculum86 View Post
I cant think of any other way to lower SG other than doing top offs with RO/DI and small PWCs.
I'm just getting my SG under control in my 55. It's been high for a really long time around 1.028 to 1.030. With no ill affects to my fish. But I decided it was time to get it under control. It didn't take that many PWCs to get it down. Over about 2 weeks I've changed out about 7 gallons of SW for RO/DI and it finally got down to 1.025 yesterday.
That's one thing that concerned me is if I keep adding salt without a PWC, that all the sudden I'm going to get a jump in SG.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:17 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Evap would only increase salinity, the only thing I could think of would be an ATO malfunctioning.

I would definitely advise against adding salt to the tank if you have fish in, it's not good for them. If anything just top-off with some saltwater with a lower salinity to raise it slowly
Old 05-12-2011, 11:35 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDream View Post
Evap would only increase salinity, the only thing I could think of would be an ATO malfunctioning.

I would definitely advise against adding salt to the tank if you have fish in, it's not good for them. If anything just top-off with some saltwater with a lower salinity to raise it slowly
Yep, I pull 5g from the tank and mix it up, then add it back. I don't have a sump or ATO attached, just a 305.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:41 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've almost never heard of SG dropping, usually it's increasing

Only other advice I can give is keep that canister clean, you could end up with nitrate problems really fast if not
Old 05-12-2011, 11:57 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDream View Post
I've almost never heard of SG dropping, usually it's increasing

Only other advice I can give is keep that canister clean, you could end up with nitrate problems really fast if not
That's what I thought and I didn't want to try and keep the SG level and then have it skyrocket. Yep, keeping a close eye on all parameters, but thanks for the heads up on the no3.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

where is your SG currently at?

Tags
pwc, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com