Sarah's 150gl build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
its also insanely hard to capture the true color of lighting. about 80% of cameras today will skew it enough that when you turn them on above your own tank, they wont even look similar

So the full spectrum ones do they have more colors to them I thought I seen where Mrx said the blue and white a better then the ones with the red

Dont mean to rain on your idea of full spectrum leds but I have a unit and I have the regular blue and whites and I would buy the b&w ones again before the full spectrum ones. They give the tank a weird purple glow which just isnt to my liking. And without the blues on the whites are actually kinda green and not very pretty in my opinion.

I thought the same as you do, why not try the best and have no regrets but I actually kinda regret buying them now. :-( Not that they wont do a great job with coral just visually they arent as great as you would think.

I;d save the extra money and spend it on some corals or fish instead. :)

I agree with Carey... I have two units one with full spectrum and one with just blue & white now I wish I would have them change the leds for all blue & white in the full spectrum unit.

I have the reef breeders full spectrum with two reds. When the lights are set very low you see lil pinkish hue. When you turn them up it gives a clean look. I run them 40/60. Two different tanks both with them. One Tao on a frag tank looks good but I like the rb better. Whatever you decide you will love them.

Attachments

• image-2772164154.jpg
    image-2772164154.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 102
  • image-784867161.jpg
    image-784867161.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 116
I have the reef breeders full spectrum with two reds. When the lights are set very low you see lil pinkish hue. When you turn them up it gives a clean look. I run them 40/60. Two different tanks both with them. One Tao on a frag tank looks good but I like the rb better. Whatever you decide you will love them.

Thanks for the pics!

What are y'all running for powerheads? I'm looking at the vortech mp40, quite expensive for one but it looks awesome!

What are y'all running for powerheads? I'm looking at the vortech mp40, quite expensive for one but it looks awesome!

I am using the Jeabo WP40 a lot cheaper than the Vortech MP40 but some people are having troubles with them.

Jabeo wp40 as well here. I have the 2nd gen controller on it and haven't had a single issue yet. way I look at it is this, price of a vortech mp40- roughly $450, price of a Jabeo wp40- roughly $85 (fish-street). I can literally buy 5 Jabeo units for the same price as a single VOrtech, so even if I don't get several years out of it, they are relatively dirt cheap. (not to mention they don't have expensive bearings to replace like the vortech.)

I have a wp40 with the second generation controller as well. I built a wave box for mine and I haven't had any problems out of it. One of the best purchases I have made in this hobby.

So excited!!! Ordering my lights Friday! I ended up talking to a seller in eBay (the first listing I posted) and instead of waiting for an auction battle he offered me a deal of $420 for 3 full spectrum. Shipping & insurance included! So that's the route I'm going.

So excited!!! Ordering my lights Friday! I ended up talking to a seller in eBay (the first listing I posted) and instead of waiting for an auction battle he offered me a deal of $420 for 3 full spectrum. Shipping & insurance included! So that's the route I'm going.

Be careful buying on EBAY make sure that they will honor any warranties and such. I have been many people having issues with the EBay Sellers not standing behind the product they are selling. GET IT IN WRITTING

Be careful buying on EBAY make sure that they will honor any warranties and such. I have been many people having issues with the EBay Sellers not standing behind the product they are selling. GET IT IN WRITTING

Thank you! I will request a copy of the terms for the insurance

Made a good chunk of progress today...

Ordered my lights yesterday. Put what I'm hoping to be the finial coat of varnish on the stand, and tackled some more of the canopy (yes my mom actually let me touch it lol) we also got the acrylic tray for the bottom of the stand. The picture below is just testing the size (plastic still attached). The cutter they use at lowes wouldn't allow us to make 1 big piece so we'll have to patch it together, no biggie I guess.

Hoping to order my return pump next week! And if money allows two boxes of rocks, each from a different place so I can decide which one I like more. I was going to have them handmade but the guy backed out when I asked how they were coming along a few weeks ago! So bit by bit it's coming together!

Attachments

• image-2241413518.jpg
    image-2241413518.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 109
  • image-3557208033.jpg
    image-3557208033.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 103
do yourself a favor and go to your local hardware store and pickup a piece of foam insulation (or atleast syrofoam) and put it down under your sump/refugium. it will completely eliminate all motor sounds. (really kicking myself for not doing this on my setup)

do yourself a favor and go to your local hardware store and pickup a piece of foam insulation (or atleast syrofoam) and put it down under your sump/refugium. it will completely eliminate all motor sounds. (really kicking myself for not doing this on my setup)

If my return is external will I be good just to use a piece under my pump? Only thing else I'll be using that could cause noise is a mag18 for my skimmer, however this will be upgraded over time.

just slip a mouspad under the external return pump, and get a thin piece of Styrofoam and put it under that mag 18. I can speak from experience when I say those mag 18's make a noticeable humming feedback sound through the stand

just slip a mouspad under the external return pump, and get a thin piece of Styrofoam and put it under that mag 18. I can speak from experience when I say those mag 18's make a noticeable humming feedback sound through the stand

Thanks for the tips!!

Back
Top Bottom