Sarcophyton shedding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atari

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, I'm assuming my toadstool is in it's shedding stage since it hasn't extended any polyps for a couple days and is covered with little white blotchy areas. There's also lots of mucus everywhere.

My question is for those that have experienced this, did it cause a significant buildup of surface scum? My protein skimmer has a surface skimming attachment and yet since the sarco closed up the slick at the surface has been getting worse and worse. The skimmer is still working normally, so I guess it's just not able to keep up.

All water parameters are unchanged, and I couldn't find any other possible cause like a dead snail or whatever. The water is still crystal clear except for the surface.

If its sliming then yes it could cauase a buildup on the surface of the tank. Having a surface skimmer attachment should keep this from collecting unless your having surface flow issues. Do you have areas of the surface that are fairly stagnant?

Not really.. I keep the whole surface moving. I guess the Prizm just finally met its match :| It's producing lots of dry skimmate but just can't seem to keep up. I'll try manually removing some of the scum and see if it helps.

EDIT: BTW, how long does the shedding typically last for?

Wow, it's done already. I saw the whole thing come off last night like a big spiderweb.. pretty interesting stuff.

Surface is clean again and all polyps fully extended :)

Back
Top Bottom