Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-13-2005, 05:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Kohan Bros.
Sargassum Triggerfish

I hear that these fish get up to 9-10 inches i was wondering if one could live in a 75 gallon for life.

TIA

Old 01-13-2005, 06:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Xanthichthys ringens has a maxium lenght of 13.8 inches. Minimum tank size is 75 gals. It is one is one of the few triggers that can be housed in a reef tank or peaceful community tank. It might not do well in an agressive tank.

Old 01-16-2005, 02:02 AM   #3

lando, even that this trigger not grow more larger then 9-10, even for a 75 gal tank is way to small tank to house and larger fish and by most when books and such give any tank size for any marine animal, it is a tank size just for them alone by most and when you wish to add other species, you need to have a larger aquarium tank.
But as mentioning, if i was to have any 9" trigger fish, i wouldn't do it in a 75 gal tank
Buddy ><{{{{">
Old 01-16-2005, 08:40 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dragon...while I agree that a 75gal. is a bit crapped for even the smallest of triggers, I simpley took my info from "Marine Fishes" by Scott Michael.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:50 AM   #5

lando, i not any problem with your answer and somehow figured that your response was that of following what some book said You need to know that all these books and on line with any information for an aquarium size for any marine species, they not done this themselves to have a first hand knowledge other then their books and the basics if you understand my meaning. It is just like fenner advise site, i see so many mistakes going by him and he not once said that that person will have need for a larger tank.
I mean god, he once told this one guy in answer to his question, "What size tank he would least need for a full grown leopard shark." His answer was stunning, he answered with that a 500 gal tank would do fine or better yet that he would need a 500 gal tank. The thing is, a good number of these who writes these books not have any aquariums of their own. For i was told by one i know who knows Fenner himself and said he not have any tanks.
Yes, there are some great books out there but when it come to a F/O tank, to have any large angelfish in any tank under 300 gals is suicide, for they need huge amounts of swimming space. It was just like in another forum site, this person said that angelfishes have a bad survival rate in home aquariums. I will give you a far better understanding in that, i know of a doctor at his office, he has a pair of large French angelfishes in a 500 gal tank for little more then two years now. And if that doctor was to wanted and go cheeper on the tank size, like perhaps a 300, they not be alive today. The only true people who can answer a good many questions are the ones who done this in keeping any large marine animal in too small a tank.
What all who wishes too keep any large marine animal should look at who is doing this at a minimum to no loses for these fish just not live just a few years and so many times i hear they died or just that any tank mates they house together with them.
Buddy ><{{{{">

Tags
gas, triggerfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com