Saw a Batfish for the first time....Wow!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocket2001

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just stopped in my LFS and although I have freshwater fish tanks, i always take a cruise by the Marine tanks.
In one of the tanks they had this most amazing fish it was jet black and looked like a boomerang with bright orange along its trailing edge..I had never seen anything like it.

i had to come home and look it up to see what the heck it was...a Batfish!

I want one...a may just set up a saltwater tank just to get one of them.

Does anyone keep these...fill me in...Id like to know about them

I have seen them a few times at the LFS. Unfortunately people buy them without researching first. Good job on your part. (y) They get really big and require around a 200 gallon tank. They are also known ich magnets.

Just found this pic.....there doesn't seem to be too much in

this is the type of fish..the one i saw was all black with orange

Attachments

• round-faced-batfish.jpg
    round-faced-batfish.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 271
I have also seen them at the LFD. All had Ich. As Brenden said, they get BIG. Stay from this unless you have Brenden's tank and experience, and even then, think threee times about it.

The batfish you saw was a juvenile. They make a rather dull color morph into the fish you found. Still very graceful and the finnage is awsome, but the black and orange fade.

Crabs,

Thats the fish I saw (without the grey band) it was only two inches...(juvie)
Still an amazing looking fish...probably won't be setting up a 300gal tank anytime soon so i'll have to just enjoy the one at the store while he's there

Crabs, that link is funny. They state the fish will reach 18" and then state a minimum tank of 80 gallons, which implies that a 100-150 will be fine.

Well, imagine an 18" fish in a 150 gal tank!

Back
Top Bottom