Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-29-2005, 01:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to amahler
Say Hello to the Emperor ;)

Just thought I'd share a picture of my first significant livestock addition since a friend gave me his (already running and lightly stocked) system.

I wanted one of these fifteen years ago (before ordering online was an option and my LFS choices have always been weak). I've been out of the hobby for probably fourteen years until a friend gave me his running system and, as of this morning, I finally have my Imperator.

He's a "medium" size from marinedepotlive.com. I had UPS hold the package and picked it up this morning before 9 AM (to keep his trip as short as possible). I acclimated him for over three hours by floating the bag for 15 minutes or so and then using the drip method. He was perky, curious and never acted the least bit strange through any of it.

He immediately began exploring the tank, weaving in and out of all the little archways and passages I have arranged in the rock, etc. There was no hiding or other nervous behavior at any point... just seemed like he already lived here.

The other fish don't seem overly concerned with him at all (though he is definitely the largest). He's darted at some of the others slightly here and there, but it's not constant and they don't do much more than jump a little out of his way when it happens. Nobody is hiding as a result and his establishment of his dominance doesn't seem to be constant. There has been no nipping that I've seen nor have any of these incidents been tank-long chases... just kind of the aquatic equivalent of stamping one's foot and yelling "boo!".

His tankmates are a pair of small clowns, one small scopas tang and a double-saddle butterfly that is about 3/4's of his size.

He didn't eat today at feeding time, but he was off exploring and doesn't yet seem to understand the group feeding frenzy. The other fish eat things so fast that nothing tended to fall into his line of sight. He was, however, poking around the live rock and nipping at little things practically from the time I put him in. No worries.... there aren't any corrals, sponges or anything else in here for him to murder. I'm going to choose carefully in that category and wait until he's firmly satisfied (if at all possible) with regular feeding.

Tomorrow I'm going to pick up some Angel Formula to go with the Formula Two that I already have. Any other feeding suggestions (both diet and technique)?

In any case, I'm proud to have this new beauty. I imagine some folks might find this to be kind of a cliche' saltwater fish, but I've always loved the pattern and the electric blue mask.

- Aaron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _mg_9254.jpg (128.6 KB, 136 views)

Old 05-29-2005, 02:13 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What size tank do you have? That is a beautiful fish

Old 05-29-2005, 02:28 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

This is a 90 gallon with a 22 gallon sump, a skimmer and a decent amount of LR (both in the tank and in the sump). The other fish have been in this tank a couple of years and, I suspect, are done growing. I doubt this guy is going to get much larger if at all since he's an adult.

I'm planning to replace my current sump with a 90 gallon tank I have which will roughly double my water volume in this system when complete.

I'm likely cutting it close with an Imperator in this size tank, but we'll see how things pan out. I stay rather religiously on top of water changes, testing, etc., and don't overfeed... so wish me luck.

- Aaron

90G acrylic/22G sump/TF100A skimmer
90lbs (45 liverocks.com & ~45 donated 14+ year old Fiji)
Imperator, D. Saddle Butterfly, 2 Percula Clowns, Cleaner Shrimp and an army of Hermits that never sleep
amahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 02:37 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

definatley 1 beautiful fish Aaron, wish you the best of luck.

Jay D

1 Blue tail Damsel(sad that he's goin back too )
1 TR Percula Clown
1 Cleaner shrimp
2 Peppermint shrimps
2 Emerald crabs(3rd went back to LFS)
10 blue legged hermits
15 astrea snails
bawla47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 02:46 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks, Edmonton and Jay... I'm thrilled he's here.

On another note, my wife has been fascinated with the tank and eager for us to add our own livestock (that personal bond, I guess, since the others came with the tank... not that we're not fond of them). I ordered this guy as a surprise and even managed to slip out to UPS and back while she was sleeping in on this quiet Saturday morning.

After the bevy of initial questions ("I woke up and you weren't here... where did you go!?"), I was evasive on what it was until she got curious enough (all of 20 seconds) to climb up on the stepstool and peer down into the bag. The room was appropriately dimmed and the tank lights were out for the acclimation. He swam up to the top of the bag and poked his mouth above the water line where she could see his mask.

"Oooooh! You got the angel!"

She likes him.

- Aaron

90G acrylic/22G sump/TF100A skimmer
90lbs (45 liverocks.com & ~45 donated 14+ year old Fiji)
Imperator, D. Saddle Butterfly, 2 Percula Clowns, Cleaner Shrimp and an army of Hermits that never sleep
amahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 09:39 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is one BEAUTIFUL fish!!!
Old 05-30-2005, 02:55 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Congrats. How big of an adult are we talking? Just curious because Imps get BIGGG. Scopas Tang is a very underrated fish that gets passed by alot. I call them the poor man's black tang because in certain lighting and moods they look black. They have tons of personality. Good contrast with the Imp.
9 Watt UV Ster.
100lbs. Live Rock (Fiji,Tonga Br)
125lbs. Aragonite Base
Maculosus Angel~Yellow Tang~Flame Hawk~Canary Blenny~Pajama Cardinal~Bl Yel Tl Damsel~Brittle Star

10 Gallon Sea Clear Acrylic est. 7-05
Whisper HOB w/carbon+ 1 rio 400 PH
65 watt 12K PC
DSB + 6lbs. Fiji LR/2lbs. Base R
5 Bl Leg Hermits/ 5 Astrea Snails
1 Serpeant Star/ 1 Whte Burr Star
Leather Coral
Orange+Green Zoos
Growth of Halimeda
SALTYDAWGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 03:03 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to SeriousDude5
HI EMPEROR!
Old 05-30-2005, 03:11 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
HI EMPEROR!
ROFLMBO! (it's late here)

That is a very nice fish
Old 05-30-2005, 04:24 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks all.

To answer the question above, I'd say he's 4.5" or so. Being a full adult, is he likely to continue growing substantially? Or is the old "fish grow to fit their surroundings" a myth? He's not a lot bigger than the butterfly that has been here for years (prior to my owning the tank).

Our butterfly is hyperactive (back and forth - back and forth). With his similar size, the Imp is an interesting balance in the tank with his more meandering pace, contemplative grazing and his weaving in and out of the rock.

And, yes, the Scopas Tang is definitely underrated. We've come to really enjoy him. He has an amusing personality and a very innocent look about him. He hangs out with our pair of clownfish... or they hang out with him. But generally wherever he goes, they go. If he finds something of interest (like the seaweed on a clip I put in tonight), they are right there nearby checking it out as well.

The Emperor is definitely big man on campus right now, but he doesn't seem to be driving anyone to hiding or changing their behavior much. He flexes his muscles a little and darts at others here and there, but I'm keeping an eye on it to see if that increases. I can say right now that none of the other personalities of the fish prior to his arrival have really changed as they all continue to roam the entire tank and they don't seem especially put off even if they have to skip out of his way from time to time. No color changes or other signs of stress yet.

Time will tell...
- Aaron

P.S. I was expecting the Imp to be standoffish or skittish due to his arrival in a foreign environment and having spent 18 hours being tossed around in a cardboard box by UPS from one coast the other. He never was and is becoming nothing but more bold. When I do stuff in the tank, he comes to check it out. I was literally bumping him with the tank cleaning tool tonight scraping some algae off the back wall... he didn't take off at all. He came from across the tank to see this device and give it a curious taste. He also started eating tonight - both seaweed on the clip and Angel Formula. After reading about so many new Imps on finicky hunger strikes for weeks on end and driving their owners mad, I find successful feeding 24 hours after arrival to be a good sign. He also enjoys visiting the cleaner shrimp with regularity (though he has no apparent signs of anything that needs cleaning).

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com