scared to upgrade my powerheads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pairenoid

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a single 750 in a 20 long that im sick of, mainly because i have it in a position where it can blow against the surface, and when i lose an inch of water the powerhead starts to create bubbles because its not completely surfaced

my concern is that how will it effect my corals? i placed them all in strategic positions based on my powerhead, i dont exactly want to move them all around now that they seem thriving

if i do go ahead and get 2 powerheads, what kind and where do i position them? i would use my old powerhead to mix saltwater. The smaller the better, i hate bulky looking tanks.

i wouldnt mind sticking to 1, but i am jealous of other peoples midas blennies who seem to swim everywhere and perch on rocks, mine does neither

im hoping a switch to the 2 powerheads with reduced flow would be better, but who knows ! i didnt do much research on powerheads except that 750 will be enough

depends on what type of coral you have. if your corals are growing and look healthy now, id say stick with that same flowrate, or atleast close

You should move 30-50% of your water volume. At least that's what I hear. I'm moving 2800 gph in my 90 gallon tank so I'm at the lower end. Theoretically my tank should be good up to 4500 gph.

so there is a sale going on petmountain

should i get 425x2 (more flow than i have but more controlled)
or 1x425 and 1x240, keep in mind i have a 750 right now and i feel like that is too much in some points of the tank, i can see some corals not liking it, but some corals do

im leaning on 1x425 and 1x240, but im not sure if that will be too much less

You can't have too much. Imagine the ocean...there are tides and waves moving the water around all over the place and the corals love it. They will in an aquarium too.

that is what i hear a lot, but i cant help but feel my powerhead is restricting my midas from swimming freely, it just feels like too much in one direction

i was about to order this Hydor Koralia Hydor Koralia Circulation and Wave Pump Aquarium Powerheads
supposed to be wider circulation

also, i have a bit of dead spot with just using one. I guess i COULD keep my 750 and get a 425 as well but now im sure that must be too much, maybe a 240..ah...i hate when i have to make decisions like this for my fish without being able to physically see how much flow the other ph's create

I would definitely get more than one. I have three now in my 90 gallon. One points up towards the top from the back to front. One is right under that doing left to right and is on a koralia wave maker. And is on the other side of the tank pointing right to left and slightly up.

ok i bought 2x425 because i hear their flow is weak but good radius
if this seems to not be enough ill use the 750 and 425 instead, and use the spare to make salt water

i have a feeling 425 will be good i will place one on the right pointing up and one on the left pointing diagnally across the middle of the tank

i hear random flow is better than circular, any input on that?

ok i bought 2x425 because i hear their flow is weak but good radius
if this seems to not be enough ill use the 750 and 425 instead, and use the spare to make salt water

i have a feeling 425 will be good i will place one on the right pointing up and one on the left pointing diagnally across the middle of the tank

i hear random flow is better than circular, any input on that?

Correct. More erratic and random the flow, the better. Bouncing it off the glass pointing at each other will create such flow.

ok, thanks, hopefully my midas will enjoy more than 1 half of the tank now, if not .. :'( at least ill have less dead spots and less debris on my **** sandbed, 3 big snails barely helps

Back
Top Bottom