Schooling Bannerfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Usually living along reef front, in pairs or solitare, seldom in groups.

If this is the case, why are they called "schooling banner fish"? Wonder if we're talking about the same fish.

Here is smoe heniochus info (I should say, I've looked them up before and gotten conflicting opinions on whether they are reef safe. When I researched them before, I recall my consensus was they were worth a shot, although needed to be watched)
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/heniochu.htm
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/henifaqs.htm

The LFS that I got my 175 gallon at, has a beautiful 200 gallon reef display tank. He had 3 heni's in it and I asked him. He said he wished that he would never have put them in there as they are constantly eating his corals. He has been slowly trying to get them out of the tank without destroying the tank, he is down to one in it now......I believe him when he says they eat corals, he had some for sale and advised us against getting them.

I would also take the advice of an online seller, they do use the phrase "reef safe with caution" when it is questionable. Also, if they are devouring aiptasia, that is a good indicator that they will nibble other things as well ..I would think

I would also take the advice of an online seller, they do use the phrase "reef safe with caution" when it is questionable. Also, if they are devouring aiptasia, that is a good indicator that they will nibble other things as well ..I would think

Copperband butterflies will munch aptaisia, but are considered reefsafe, go figure. In the links I provided wetwebmedia specifically says that H. diphreutes is reef safe, while H. acuminatus is not.

Thanks Kevin, the first link showed mw the many similarities of these fish and makes me wonder if the LFS's might get the names mismatched and possibly get one the might munch on coral. I guess the only way to find out is to purchase a few with the return if not pleased policy.

Not too many places that make a living *selling* fish, will go to great lengths to talk you out of buying one.

I consider my corals as valuable as the fish and therefore would not risk it. But we all make those choices for ourselves.

My species book says the heniochus diphreutes (schooling bannerfish) is reef safe but not to confuse it with the heniochus acuminatus (longfin bannerfish) which is desrtuctive in a reef tank.

I want the diphereutes not the acuminatus.

Back
Top Bottom