Schooling Bannerfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swishyfishies

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone ever had a heniochus diphreutes (schooling bannerfish) or the Longfin Bannerfish ( heniochus acuminatus). What can you tell me about them?

They grow to about 10 inches, they are not reef safe. Minimum recommended tank size is 80 gallons..as with any schooling fish, they need room to swim.

31503hr13.JPG

I have thess in my fish only and they are going well, eating the problems you ssee in the picture. Great fish but not reef safe

Great pic.

Is that a bunch of aiptasia, or something? Is is majano? I dont know, just wondering. If it is i hope you can get rid of it. I love those fish though, gorgeous!

Cool, your rabbit thinks he's a Heni!

Mine thinks its a tang...very confused fish...

I have wanted the Heniochus since the very first day I got a saltwater tank, was heartbroken to hear I couldnt have them with the corals. Yours are V*E*R*Y nice.
I am envious.

Cool, I know that the copperband butterfly is notorious for eating aiptasia, and then starving. Are these fish eating anything else?

Cool! I think those are some really cool fish, a freind of mine has a 300 gallon FO, he might want 6 of those guys.

they are not reef safe
Could you please make this statement valid for me? I can't seem to find any information that suggests this. I want some too..

Marinedepotlive "..The Heniochus, Black & White is a low maintenance fish and may act peacefully toward other fish. Not reef-safe"

LiveAquaria "Reef Compatible: No"

it says it everywhere

That does not explain why? I thought since you said that, you would have something other than fish sales sites. I have been looking for the information and have found nothing in any write ups on the fish that state they cannot be kept in a reef tank. The thingsI found out about these fish as far as eating habits go, is, they eat zooplankton (maybe a reason, but so do other reef safe fish), and benthic invertebrates.

Here is one of the references.

Heniochus acuminatus (Linnaeus)
(Long-finned Bannerfish; Ababang)
SL: to 20 cm (photo: 7 cm SL, Agana, 3 m)

This species is moderately common in deep, protected harbors, lagoons, and channels from 2 to over 32 m. Along outer reef slopes, it occurs in somewhat deeper water, generally from below 20 to at least 75 m. It feeds on zooplankton and occurs in pairs or in small groups.

and another:

A plantivorous species that generally remains within a few meters of the reef. Juveniles may sometimes pick on parasites on the epidermis of other fish.

plantivorous
n. plant-eating.

more:

Usually living along reef front, in pairs or solitare, seldom in groups. Feeds on plankton, more rarely on benthic invertebrates. Juveniles can act as cleaners, feeding on parasites collected on other fish skin.

Benthic: organism living on or in close proximity with the sea bottom. The bottom organisms system is called benthos.

The benthos live on the ocean floor. Starfish, oysters, clams, sea cucumbers, brittlestars, and anemone are all benthos. Most benthos feed on food as it floats by or scavenge for food on the ocean floor.

So far, I have found no reference to eating or harming corals of any type. ????

Again. I would like to get validity or from anyone, experience that vears in the direction that this thread has taken to banner fish being not reef compatible..

Back
Top Bottom