Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-09-2008, 12:21 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I guess this might be possible but not responsible. But my main point is with so many cool fish why waste your limited space on any chromi. Get all you fish from this link ill leave and you will be unique.

Buy Fish Online: Buy Tropical Fish, WYSIWYG corals, clams and inverts online at the Divers Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad View Post
If left with one, I'd add 2. At $6 to $8 each, IME you can keep adding as they'll ultimately get the heirarchy together and do fine. I added 3 to 2 that lived in my original setup and now have 3 that have been in the same tnk for almost 3 years now. One real big one - the female/boss/head honcho (or honchA), another slightly smaller and a noticeably smaller one. The last two are males.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:45 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Thought about the ultimate stocking plan? Now would be a good time to do that. Wanna share those thoughts?
I am not really worried too much about fish (relative), I am primarily interested in inverts and corals. That being said, I still want fish, and Chromis struck me as an interesting addition due to schooling that would also not impact my inverts/corals one bit.

So for fish stocking, right now I am thinking 4-5 Chromis, 2 clowns, and 1 other. I figure I only have 21-22 inches of fish to play with, and that should eat all that up.

The tank is an oddity in dimensions as far as I can tell from reading this site. It is 24Hx18Wx36L. That means that the LR formations will be squat and deep rather than high and skinny. That leaves a large open water collumn that hopefully a community of Chromis can fill.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:34 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thats it. You asked our opinion and didnt get the answer you wanted. But its fine. Part of reefing is learning. Schooling fish is cool just harder in a smaller tank.

But with any fish its always best to add any species all at one time for any success. I bought mine from LFS and they were fine in his tank in high numbers but in smaller numbers in my tank i was left with one. Just do it. Some need to experiance for them selfs. Its all apart of reefing.GL...
Old 07-09-2008, 02:55 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

I started off with 5-chromis at one time, ended up with 2-left. 1-died and 2-went mia. I ended up returning the remaining-2 back to the LFS for some credit. Now I am done with chromis, probably for good. I didn't have much luck with them. Even when all 5 were alive they didnt always swim together, which is what I was also trying to achieve. You may have better luck than me though.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:34 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Chromis are interesting fish. They are background fish...I like mine and if you want to add them to your tank then I say go for it. They are fairly hardy and easy to care for. Mine will eat right out of my hand.

I still think it would be best to stick with 3 instead of the 5 you mentioned. You don't want to add too many fish too quickly and 3 will do just fine in your tank.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:07 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Thats it. You asked our opinion and didnt get the answer you wanted.
Come on now, no need to get uptight, I asked for opinions and some of them were to get Chromis!
Old 07-09-2008, 01:00 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Just curious, but what are the dimensions of your tank?
Old 07-09-2008, 01:12 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Quote:
The tank is an oddity in dimensions as far as I can tell from reading this site. It is 24Hx18Wx36L.
He snuck them in at the end of a post up there.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:46 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, I got a wider and taller tank instead of long, due to the space requirements at my place.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:16 AM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

What about an entire tank dedicated to various fairy wrasse species?

Tags
reef, reef aquarium, schooling, schooling fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com