Schooling Fish For The Reef Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've got 3 of the blue chromis in a 46g. Started with 3 a year ago... still have the same three. No major group dynamics issues. One is definitely smaller than the others but that's probably because of a tumor he has near his mouth that's misshaped it, making it hard for it to eat. Even so, they all get along fine. The Bangaii Cardinal chases them around more than they chase around each other.

If you get them, realize they can be jumpers. I didn't know that about them when I got them. They also spook pretty easy. Shortly after I got them, I walked up to the tank kinda quick after the lights went out. I heard this "thunk" sound. I looked at the top of my tank and lying on top of the glass (I have a partial glass cover) was one of the chromis... perfectly still. I just gently pushed him off the glass back in the water and everything went back to normal. Lucky fish!

I agree with lance, I wish I had not wasted valuable bio load space on them. Not much personality or color. I started with 3 and 1 went MIA in an 72 gal. There are much better choices than them with limited tank space.

I was thinking of doing the same thing in my 75, and I am split between chromis and anthias. Right now you can get a group of anthias on Ebay for a decent price. I am leaning on the anthias side, they are a little more expensive but nicer looking IMO.

I dont think you even considered my reply. This lead me to think you have your mind set. Great advice giving here so now its up to you.GL..

I dont think you even considered my reply. This lead me to think you have your mind set. Great advice giving here so now its up to you.GL..

All we can do is give our opinion. Then it`s up to the OP to decide what`s best. There is really no one way to run a SW tank. I personally think there are several good replys on this thread. All of them are different but will work.

What about a Caribbean theme: Chalk basslet (Serranus tortugarum), Blackcap basslet (Gramma melacara), Flame cardinal (Apogon sp.), Jawfish (Opistognathus sp.), and a Flameback angelfish (Centropyge aurantonotus)...You can also try Foureye butterflyfish (Chaetodon capistratus), but they will consume zoanthiids, gorgonians, and polychaetes.

Just an example of the variety you could have as most of these you would purchase several of to form small shoals.

Back
Top Bottom