Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2004, 04:46 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
so i have been finding out that the hotter my tank gets in the day the more algae i have to clean off my glass. you might want to look in to some thing like that. dose algae need a higher temp to grow? if so them why are people keeping there reefs at 80?

Old 09-20-2004, 04:54 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What about something like this:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...carboy&start=0

I think people might find a completely self-contained ecosystem very interesting. Jeff

Old 09-21-2004, 04:13 PM   #13
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi there !

I'm a high school science teacher and have been running science fairs for about 16 years now.

I'm sure that you have been told about sci method ( controls, constants, independent variable, and dependent variables. Seeing as how would need to run at least two tanks ( control and experimental) make yourself a budget.

I would think that looking at an aspect of water chemistry could be fun. For example, you could run an experiment to see if a change in temperature will change the pH of the water.

You could look at temperature change and dissolved oxygen content.

You could look at lighting and biological oxygen demand ( reply for more info if you are not sure about this one.)

You could look at circulation and biological oxygen demand.

You could look at temperature and bacteria colony population.

You could look at circulation and bacteria colony population.

You could look at temperature and saltwater water density.

I could go on and on 8O . But if you need advice or more info, feel free to ask.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:22 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Alas, I am reminded of that great Simpson's episode where Lisa tries to determine which is smarter, Bart of her hamster. Bart and the hamster run through a series of tests with Bart losing everyone including a particularly nasty one with a lit light bulb. Bart, however, ends up winning the fair by putting an aviator cap on the hamster and sending him up in a model airplane. By rights, Lisa should have beaten Bart as her experiment, at least, was not all flash, unlike Barts. However, Bart did know that to win you had to make things a bit exciting.... To win this pupply you need a little showmanship. Marconi used it to show how to communicate accross the Atlantic as did Edison with his talking machine. All the best and keep us informed. I really wish I could participate! Jeff
Old 09-21-2004, 05:28 PM   #15
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

An interesting twist might be to see if you can find a readily available, homemade, all natural, yet reliable indicator for saltwater pH. Many plant pigments will change color in an acid or a base. It would be neat to make your own aquarium supplies. This would have the "flash" of some neat color changes, have a real world application, and would not be terribly expensive.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com